Help a new trumpet player find C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by theengel, Mar 11, 2009.

1. theengel

theengel New Friend

Mar 11, 2009
    My wife picked up a used trumpet at Goodwill last month, and I thought I'd give it a go. Never really played an instrument ('cept banjo by ear). And I don't know anything about musical theory.

I was told that a C on a piano would be the right starting place for me to toot my first note. Only I simply could not produce that note with all the buttons open. I could only produce something 1 or 2 notes down.

Well, I started just pretending that was C, and learned the C scale (except it was a note or two off). All the little songs I play reading music that way sounds right...but it's still not a C I'm starting with.

I don't know a thing about music and am trying to pick all this up...but what am I missing?

Thanks from a rookie.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The C on your trumpet will be a B flat on the piano.

3. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    try going lower on the piano it is actually one of the black keys that is C because Piano is in the key of C and standard trumpets are Bb. you could go online also and look around they could give you the tone and some tuners even have it.

4. theengel

theengel New Friend

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for the replies...

So to learn the C scale on my trumpet, I start with the note I circled in this pic and not the one I X'ed?

[​IMG]

Sorry that I don't quite understand the answers. :>

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yes.

The trumpet is pitched in B flat.

The piano is in the key of C.

To play a "C" scale on a trumpet, you are actually playing what would be a "Concert B flat" scale on the piano.

The notes for a "C" scale on a trumpet are
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    A
    B
    C

The notes on the piano are

Bflat
    C
    D
    EFlat
    F
    G
    A
    Bflat

Hope that helps.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Trumpet C scale:
    Begin on your C (Bb on piano) Open (no valves down) then, going up:
    D (1 & 3)
    E (1 & 2)
    F (1)
    G open
    A (1 & 2)
    B (2)
    C open

This will sound the same as the Bb scale Solar Bell posted.

Then, to match the piano's C scale, you play the trumpet D scale, going up:

D (1 & 3)
    E (1 & 2)
    F# (2)
    G open
    A (1 & 2)
    B (2)
    C# (1 & 2)
    D (1)

Don't fret (guitar pun) that the upper D is fingered differently than the lower one. It's a trumpet idiosyncrasy that you'll get used to.

veery

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even more important than pushing the right button down is getting your breathing together. The trumpet is a WIND instrument. You need to start always with a big breath. I visualise the breathing cycle as a circle. The left side going up is inhale and the right side going down is exhale. At the top and bottom a circle stays smooth, and your breathing should also smoothly transition from in- to exhale. Always take a BIG breath, lots of air reduces the physical strength that you need to make sound. It also helps you get a better sound.

Good luck!

8. theengel

theengel New Friend

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, at first the breathing was a problem. I kept almost passing out. But I can almost play Floral Dance now without getting dizzy. :>

9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    If you decide to stick with it, I recommend getting the Arban's Method for Cornet and Trumpet; even better, find an instructor as well.

So what kind of trumpet did you get?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY