Help Choosing a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Ne0Wolf7, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a tenor sax player and I'm interested in learning the Trumpet. I saw the sticky on good cheap tumpets, but have no idea what I'm looking at. I know hat I want a b flat trumpet, and that I don't want to spend much more than $300 on it (I plan on a used one), but I dont know too much about brands. I default to Yamaha, but I have no clue as to if yamaha even is a good trumpet brand. I'm sure this is an incredibaly common question, but I dont want to buy scrap metal. Would it be wort getting a mouthpiece different that that that comes with the horn? What brands won't forsaken me? I've never played before, but I'm soon to be trying out a friends (but I cant have that one!). I'll inform on how that goes just because.
    Here are some links that caught my eye, so please tell me if I'm going in the right direction:
    Getzen 400
    Used Getzen 400 SERIES Trumpet | Trumpets | Music Go Round Minnetonka
    Jupiter CTR 60
    Used Jupiter CTR60 Trumpet | Trumpets | Music Go Round Minnetonka
    Yamaha YTR-2320
    Yamaha Trumpet YTR-2320, cleaned & serviced with extras | eBay
    Back TR 300
    Bach TR 300 Trumpet W/ Original Hard Case Beginner Instrument | eBay
    Bore... 7C... Pistons... What does it all mean!?!?
    Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks!

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM, Ne0Wolf7. Any of the horns you listed would be a good choice, depending on the price and the condition of the horn.

Mike

3. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    Okay, and the mouthpieces that come with them should do me fine until I actually learn much?

4. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    Also, are there any real differences between the trumpets I'm considering?

5. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    I did some research and think the Getzen will have superior valves. I'll ask the seller what type of oil he used, and be set! Thanks for the help!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM and the trumpet, Ne0Wolf7!

The Getzen is made in America, Yamaha in Japan, Jupiter in Taiwan and Bachs are made in America, with the exception of some student horns, that are built in China. Where the TR300 was made, I don't know which country.

As TrumpetMD said, all can be good horns. Jupiter had problems with valves in the past, if the CTR-60 has stainless valves it shouldn't be a problem. Bach is noted for inconsistency--some horns are great, some are real dogs.

You should be fine with the mouthpiece that comes with the horn.

7. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Getzen horns are definitely known for superior valves.

Mike

8. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    Considering Jupiter's past problems and Bach's inconsistency, the superior valves put the Getzen over the Yamaha for me. I just learned from the seller of the Getzen that it comes with a no name 7C, which (I think) is standard among beginners. One thing the person didn't know was what type of oil the original owner used on the trumpet; will this cause a problem?

9. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This shouldn't be a problem. Use whatever oil you want. If you're going to change oil, and you're not sure what the original owner used, you can always clean the horn before switching oils.

Mike

10. Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7 New Friend

Nov 8, 2016
    Okay, thanks again!