HELP!! Dental Surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Jul 14, 2011.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I found out yesterday that I have to have immediate dental surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth - at my age 63. This is at a point where my playing has been going great too. Darn this.
    The surgeon told me that I will not be able to play for AT LEAST two weeks.
    What can I do so that my chops don't deteriorate too badly?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I had wisdom teeth removed at age 19...that was about 41 years ago.

I recommend you do what you dentist says. You will be able to regain your lost playing time rather quickly if you do; otherwise you might develop complications that could be much worse.

3. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sorry dude, I hate to give you more bad news, but the dentist is right, you need to stay off the horn and mouthpiece. No practicing!! Any increased pressure in the mouth could lead to dry sockets....speaking from experience..those suck!! It might be even longer than 2 weeks (my healing time was a month because of the dry sockets), depending on your healing habits. Great time to get to the Lynx and hit some balls!!!

4. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    Most definitely follow the dentist's advice. I'm a certified dento-phobe so I do my best to follow his advice in order to minimize the number of visits I have to make.

5. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you all for your advice.
    I knew that I could count on my trumpet brethren for support.
    I guess for the next several weeks its a lot of playing piano and soft food.
    Thanks, again.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    perfect time to send your horn out for a tune up.. valve alignment, ultrasonic cleaning ... at least you won't be tempted to play it

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a very good idea, especially as the 2 weeks (eternity) comes to a close! Hope you have a speedy recovery. There is always the pencil exercise!

8. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you for some very good ideas. The dental bill is going to leave me a little strapped for cash but it might be good time to polish my horns.
    There are a lot of real nice, smart people on this website - renews my faith in humanity.
    I hope you all have many great gigs and double C's.
    You folks are the best.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Do yoga. Do fingering exercises. Or leave the trumpet to the tech and do something completely different - hiking, surfing, extreme sports or other exciting stuff. Most important - have fun.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buzz with the mouthpiece
    pencil trick (google Eric Bolvin and pencil for a good description)
    with the trumpet, finger tough exercizes to keep the patterns alive in your head
    do special things for yourself in the time that you would have normally practiced - keep the special time SPECIAL and free from the expectations of others
    If you are in a local band, attend rehearsal, help set up the chairs or put them away, sit in the percussion section, pass out music, etc

KEEP THAT SPECIAL TIME SPECIAL!

Two weeks is such a small portion of your life.................. Make your mark!