HELP!! Dental Surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Jul 14, 2011.

1. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I am doing the pencil exercises per Dr. Chops. I am working on my Spanish Cds, reading a book call Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, exercising daily on my rowing machine, taking care of our house and yard, and working part time at a Lowes(the least favorite of all).
    I thank everyone for such good advice.

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Here are my ideas, some of which are suggested above: 1) Take the time to listen to as many trumpet players (recordings) as possible 2) Practice fingering excersizes with the horn. 3)Send a trumpet in for repairs or cleaning, if necessary 3) Read a biographical account of a great player (Clarke, Vacchiano, etc) 4) Go to as many concerts as possible 5) Dismiss all my suggestions and take it easy for two weeks!

3. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I live in Charleston, SC there are no live concerts of any value. The symphony shut down this year it was mercy killing. My gig is playing on the street two nights a week. I love to play and need to make any extra money I can - no playing now for two weeks. I try to listen got some great players of all genres - lots of Doc, Chet, Lee Morgan, Rolf Smedvig, Tom Stevens, and of course Maynard.
    I appreciate your advice.
    Thank you.

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Mouthpiece buzzing is more physically demanding than playing the trumpet.

My dentist told me that if it hurts don't play but if it doesn't there should be no problem. A problem would be if you have a high pain threshold and go too far. With impacted wisdom teeth you probably won't feel like playing much sooner than 2 weeks anyway. Follow your surgeon's advice. The biggest danger is him killing the nerves in your face. I just had 2 wt removed (1 lower , 1 upper) but they weren't impacted and I still had some tingling and involuntary movement in my chin muscles for a few days. The last day it only happened one time so I knew that I was home free. It has been about 3 weeks now and if I play a lot I can still feel it.

Take it easy. You'll be sorry later if you come back too hard, too soon.

5. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Nestbeast, I am 61 and had a fractured premolar extracted 4 weeks ago. I think a wisdom tooth extraction is somewhat more traumatic than a premolar extraction (I had my wisdom teeth taken out also, years ago), nevertheless, our situations are similar. I resumed playing on the day following the extraction. I wrote about this in several posts in a different thread. I won't repeat everything here but if you want to read about my recovery, which is going well, and why I think you may be able to start playing sooner than you think, you can find the thread here: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/wisdom-tooth-good-exercises-61811.html

6. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Just got over it. Dental surgery, that is. Had to re-do a root canal on my left upper incisor. Took me a week, although I felt like I could after about 5 days, I waited to be sure.