Help fingering notes trumpeters lullaby

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, May 23, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    http://notendatenbank.net/demonoten/9000930b.gif

It's been so long since I've done site reading I really need some help with the fingerings of the sharps/flats etc...if anybody can help me I'd be greatly appreciative. I'm going to attempt to play this. My goal is to make this more musical by the end of the week. It looks like a challenging work. The low to high transistions seem like they would be excellent practice for range development and articulations.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    How can I help? Give me a "for-instance"..F#, middle valve...? Like that?

3. BustedChops

Oct 1, 2011
    Yes basically all the fingerings valve numbers...I can't re-call which notes are supposed to be sharp or natural...Thats where I'm confused. I know the sharp in front means I'm supposed to play certain notes in a different key I just totally forgot the rules/fingerings.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, Trumpeter's Lullaby is in the key of G, (for the Bb trumpet that is). That means you will have one sharp in the key signature, F. Every time that note comes along, it's assumed to be f# unless the music indicates otherwise. So starting with the G in the staff, here are the fingerings: G=ooo ( o will mean not used, x will mean used) A=xxo, B=oxo, C= ooo, D=(just below the staff=xox, third line in staff= xoo E= (top space) ooo, bottom line=xxo, F#=oxo (both above and in the staff). Now for the accidentals you find in this piece: C# (one ledgerline below the staff)=xxx, in the staff, 3rd space up, xxo D#(just below the staff) = oxx E# ( bottom line)=xoo, (same as F natural) G#= (above and in the staff) oxx. That should about do it for the fingerings. Any more type of questions, let me know.

(practice playing the G major scale so you are comfortable with many of the runs in this piece)

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds to me like your shortest path to getting back into the swing of things is to find a good teacher.

7. BustedChops

Oct 1, 2011
    Yes I need a good teacher...but money is tight...I will be joining our hometown band soon. There I will be able to play in the low range while getting back my site reading...I'm stubborn and like to be self taught. The teacher I wanted might not accept me at the level I'm at. Hopefulyl I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help BigDub...that will get me started. I also need to work on my tonguing.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Feel free to PM me if you need to get too specific for everyone else's taste!

Peter McNeill likes this.
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    No offense intended, but it seems like you have the cart in front of the horse.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Teachers will not likely turn down a motivated player. Being self taught takes longer, because if you learn it the wrong way; then, trying to relearn it later the right way will be seriously difficult. Find a sponsor if necessary.