Help fingering notes trumpeters lullaby

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, May 23, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Dammit, where's the second page? I printed it to play and got to the end and realised it isn't! :oops:

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Rapier, it gets close. You have everything in another section except for the ending which contains more notes, but none that you haven't already played. Look at the 2 measures before Piu Animoto and add a few notes. Voila! Now you can read AND play by ear.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is always tough for me to "accept" bass-ackwards. I mean that I have been teaching for a very long time and think if G major is lacking, other stuff needs serious attention. I can't imagine that f to F# will be the primary obstacle for Busted Chops in working out this solo.

One thing should be made clear: in my opinion, money is NOT the reason that most prefer unstructured. Fear of failure is the primary reason that we prefer not bringing others into our development. There are so many opportunities to get live help: Band mates, going to concerts and TALKING to those better than ourselves, even a bit of structured research (google is my friend) often leads to qualified support.

Everyone is free to choose their own path in life. Improvements occur when we deal with first things first and do not spend our time covering symptoms up with bandaids. By the way, DIY is every bit as expensive as getting qualified help. Many times we really don't realize the true "cost of business"! Especially with an instrument like the trumpet where HABITS rule our destiny, getting the order of things right is very critical.

Good luck with your fingering chart.

Before you start your next practice session, repeat after me:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

thank you for this wonderful solo. I know that I will never be worthy, so please plug your ears before rolling over in your grave...........
    :shhh:

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know .... I did a recording of this for my Dad, it's his favorite trumpet piece. As much as I wanted to play it perfect ... he is 87 ... I think you get my drift. I am with Robin .... lots of skills needed to be able to play it musically.
    It's a great goal but I really would suggest finding some easier pieces to start out with.
    Here is how I fair and I have been pretty familiar with the key of G for many years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOwyXLgAdA&list=UUS2KZqKmSXvUbBFU2faut2w&index=1&feature=plcp

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Trumpeter's Lullaby - YouTube

This is a lovely rendition by a young performer. When I hear her relaxed approach I realize this IS after all a lullaby.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    darn it.. shown up "by a girl" ....

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a nightmare around 1:05.........

Coolerdave, you did a fine job. The unpolished edges are those that I also find with many working trumpeters too. An hour of really concentrated work could solve most of them with the major effort being on timing and where the pulse belongs

This piece lives from "flow". Pickups, or runs that don't start on the beat have to fit perfectly in time. A pickup needs to be less "pronounced" than the beat following it. The key to performing this piece well is in the accuracy with which we practiced Clarke and Arban......... G major is the least of our worries. There are many recordings on the internet of this piece.

Here the original by Roger Voisin who the piece was written for:
    Leroy Anderson - A trumpeter's lullaby - 1950.wmv - YouTube

and here my favorite:

The James F. Burke Tribute Page Cornet Soloist & Solo Chair with The Goldman Band: 1943-1974 "The last celebrated cornet soloist of the 20th century"
    click on music -> with orchestra -> A Trumpeters Lullaby and then the arrow at the bottom to start play.

The history:

A Trumpeter's Lullaby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many recordings by "name brand" soloists that I find disgusting. For many their own stamp seems to be more important than the composers message.

8. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Rowuk,

I really like that "vintage" sound that James Burke has, phrasing is superb, being a younger player I wasn't familiar with this trumpet player until now but WOW.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This is one of the tunes I find hard to do justice to - along with other tunes like Greensleeves the notes are easy enough but the execution needs much greater sensitivity and attention. Here is another good player - but even he fluffs it slightly here and there... Trumpeters Lullaby By L. Anderson-JT Wyper - YouTube

Thanks everyone for reminding me of it, and well done Dave.

--bumblebee

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yes, the piece is not very difficult technically, but it demands attention throughout nonetheless. Compared to characteristic studies, this work is a piece of cake. HOWEVER, to perform it with finesse, to play it AS A LULLABY, a mother softly singing her child to sleep... THAT is where the artist comes to the fore.

Rowuk, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you bring to this forum. You are appreciated.