Help fingering notes trumpeters lullaby

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, May 23, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Or fear of success.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    LeRoy Anderson really composed some wonderful stuff and he is definitely a favorite (among many), for playing in group and ensemble settings, but this is one sweet piece for a solo. He never or rarely did any piece that lasted very long, left you wanting more rather than asking when it would be over!!!
    We do a lot of LeRoy Anderson pieces in the band I belong to, and they suit us very well. Among them are, "The Golden Years", "Serenata", and "Trumpeter's Lullaby". I have done Bugler's Holiday plenty of times as well, that's a winner too, in my book. There's my two cents worth.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Written to fit onto a 78rpm record

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Hmmm, never thought about that one, good point!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that we need to research Mr. Andersons wealth of compositions before making an assumption.......... True that he was primarily a "songwriter".

Here some "longer stuff":

Alma Mater (1954)
    A Christmas Festival (1950) - the original was 9 minutes long
    Concerto in C Major for Piano and Orchestra (1953)
    Goldilocks (musical) (1958)
    A Harvard Festival (1969)
    Irish Suite (1947 & 1949)
    Scottish Suite (1954)
    Suite of Carols for Strings (1955) (six carols)
    Suite of Carols for Brass (1955) (seven carols)
    Suite of Carols for Woodwinds (1955) (six carols)

Fact is, audience attention span has been on the decrease since Gustav Mahler. Smart composers get heard by building THEIR audiences and then feeding them.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I guess I miss-spoke on the "never" or "rarely", but as far as your statement, "we need to research", there is where I must say, no, I don't NEED to do that, I believe you.......thanks for the correction. What was I thinking, I have done the Christmas Festival several times, too. Shame on me.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Let us keep in mind Mr. Anderson was gifted with the ability to create beautiful melodies which stay with the listener. Much of his considerable output was written for Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. Trumpeter's Lullaby is one of them.
    As stated, technically this is not a difficult piece at all (It is not easy-peasy, however) and is an absolutely perfect example of what a smooth and continuous air flow is all about. There are some embarrassingly hack performances on youtube. One in particular is one where the performer is having considerable difficulty with hitting the notes, articulation, and proper timing yet still tried to ad lib - with disastrous results - like Mendez did on his recording of it. (Mendez's ad lib was not disastrous, but it is the only recording made by this legendary great that I personally feel upon which he took a bit too much liberty. He raised the key, did an extended cadenza, and added taps at the end of the piece. Musical, but not quite what I expected). I would like to give the performer the benefit of doubt about being nervous, but I believe the piece was a bit above his skill level.
    Play is smoothly, with great feeling, and as written. Don't be afraid to add fitting words to the melody - words can help "sing" this wonderful piece. I first played this at my senior recital at music school. I had many questions and compliments about this lovely work. They were all familiar with the Haydn concerto and the other pieces, but this one caught their ear.
    RT

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Addition to the works I mentioned we (Blawenburg Band) have done that I recalled after Rowuk pointed out my mistake:
    A Christmas Festival
    Forgotten Dreams
    Golden Years
    Phantom Regiment
    Plink, Plank, Plunk
    Promenade
    Serenata
    Sleigh Ride
    Syncopated Clock
    Come to think of it, there are plenty that are longer than the obligatory 3 minutes, and I enjoy playing them just the same!
    A lot of people pronounce his name LEE-roy, not the classical way he preferred it with the accent on the second syllable. I won't say who does, at the risk of hurting feelings.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many of the composers that I have been privileged to work with really get upset when they are put in a box. I am sure the Mr. Anderson had a great deal of stuff that he would have preferred to be his legacy. His sense of humour for instance is admirably documented here:

Jerry Lewis - Typewriter - Video

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Rowuk, thanks for the links to Voisin and Burke. Beautiful playing. I still like Mendez's version best. Even though he takes the key up a minor third from G to Bb. I like the liberties he takes with the phrasing.