Help fixing up cosmetic ware on a secondhand trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Scarlett300, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    I got a jupiter tribune JTR 1200 this week, I bought it secondhand. I've been using a student yamaha and its on its last legs, and the jupiter is the only professional one i could afford. It plays great, problem is its secondhand
    https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9f03e12c248f94d42f0ec47881193f12&oe=560A8E86
    I'm going to touch up the black with black enamel from hobbyco. Is there anything i can do about the plating? My mum utterly refuses to take it to a technician (not that there would be any in my area, i live in australia) so i need something cheap that i can do myself. If nothing can be done i'd be okay with leaving it i guess but my band teacher seemed a bit upset with my new not-so-shiny trumpet.
    Thanks guys.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Where in Aus are you? Black enamel is about the only thing you can do yourself, not much you can do to the plating other than have the parts replated.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    I'm in Sydney, the Hurstville area. I bought my trumpet from the Gold Coast, my mum won't budge every time I mention wanting to get it looked at she calls me ungrateful. I can't go on my own as I have little money and no car :( I assume buying parts would be expensive too?

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Scarlett - there is only one way of solving the problem: Let the trumpet earn the money for its refurbishment. I don't know at which level you are playing, and whether you are in a community band or anything; but it might be a good idea (finance-wise!) to get into contact with some Church (or Temple or whatever) music group and engage yourself in playing there, making clear to all and sundry that you are available for private functions (many choices there: baptisms, christenings, weddings, even funerals - practice Taps and The Last Post, they are immensely important and lucrative - or, in other surroundings, blowing the shofar...)
    Every trumpet I own has by this time not only played in it's original purchase price and more. I just ended a run of a Millöcker operetta which yielded more than € 1,500 for less than a week's work (one rehearsal weekend, three evening rehearsals, and four performances), with € 200 thrown in for travel costs. During the same week, I played one orchestral Mass (€ 100), one wedding service (€ 100) and one Hunt Ball with the big band (€ 200). That's a total of € 2,100 for a nine-days period. Of course, that was a very good week; but if your playing is anything beyond total beginner, you might be able to make at least € 200 per month, as, fortunately, you are not somewhere in the Red Out Far Beyond, but in a fairly populous and civilized area... Get your teacher to advise!

5. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    I play in 2 bands at my school and one in my local community. I never considered doing actual performances though, I'll see what I can look into. I could busk in the city and make heaps I'm sure. I paid $350 for it but it's worth a few thousand new. At this point I think it won't be possible for me to touch up the plating

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Don't worry about the plating - the enamel is what matters now. You definitely got a bargain!

7. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    Yeah! I think it's so awesome, I've been using a student Yamaha since I started trumpet. I got a monette professional mouthpiece worth $600 for $250!

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Scarlett300,
    Welcome to TM, it's nice to have another Aussie here.

As already said, don't worry about the plating, just aim to get the enamel done. Maybe drop into a Dulux Trade Centre or Bunnings, and get some advice on painting over Brass. You may need to prepare the brass, and do a little fine sanding. but see what they say, there may be a self etching primer coat that will adhere before applying the enamel. Looking at it, it does look like an adhesion failure - so maybe the whole lot of paint on the bell can be a problem.

Not to scare you, but the idea of doing it yourself is OK - just aim to do it once, and do it well.

Welcome again, and keep us informed.
    BTW - if you aim to busk, speak to your local council and get a permit (if needed) - sometimes they may ask you to perform for them before you get the permit. If you are enjoying it, try a shopping centre, and maybe a music store - it may get you a contact for a new horn, or some discounts.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I think it looks cool the way it is. Have you considered stripping it an polishing the raw brass?

10. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    Yeah I know that I'll need to get a permit if I plan to. And my mum absolutely will not let me have it raw brass. I quite like the black it looks unique.