Help fixing up cosmetic ware on a secondhand trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Scarlett300, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Are we sure we know what we mean by 'enamel' here.

Isn't it more likely to be black lacquer? (I presume it isn't a fired vitreous enamel). For a cosmetic touch-up I don't think I'd look much further than an automotive touch-up pen.

2. Scarlett300

Scarlett300 New Friend

Sep 23, 2015
    Should I paint the inside of the bell black too? A lot of the gold plating has worn off, will it effect the sound or anything?

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Scarlett,

I'd honestly have a tech at least look at the instrument and advise what could reasonably be done, even if you don't plan to have him do it in the immediate future.

Generally, standard finishes (plating, lacquer etc) don't make so much difference to the sound of an instrument that a relatively inexperienced player would notice. But if you start applying coverings (ie paint) by brush, it will be a lot thicker, softer and heavier and that will affect the sound of the instrument noticeably.

Plus any irregularities in your covering will provide little pockets for moisture and other stuff to collect, and this can accelerate corrosion quite aggressively. Not really a big issue on wrought iron railings, but a professional standard trumpet......?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I can understand wanting to play a horn that is aesthetically pleasing, but ultimately, it's much more important what the horn plays and sounds like. Leave well enough alone and let the sound do the talking.