Help for good Classical Trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yayo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Yayo

Yayo New Friend

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello every one!, I need some help buying a new trumpet. I'm a intermediate Bb trumpet player who look for a more rich, dark, classical tone and sound (and also a good trumpet).

Ive done a lot of research and look't up a lot of different trumpets (Bach, Schilke, Conn, Yamaha, etc.) but I dont really know what to chose, or some times there really expensive and cant really afford.

My question is: Does anyone know what good trumpet I should or can get that will give me a more classical tone that is not to expensive? ( Im trying out for an orchestra and my current trumpet wont do the trick at the audition)

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay. The only way to find the horn that fits you and gives you the sound you want is to go out and try as many as possible. You may get all kinds of responses as to what is dark, but darkness really comes from you. Depending on when your audition is will depend on how dark you can become. If it is in the next few weeks or months then you probably should have started working toward darkening your sound before now.

3. Yayo

Yayo New Friend

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for your advice s.coomer. I have been working on darkening my tone for some moths now and have better my tone; but I believe that my old beginner student trumpet is now good now and feel a need for a good trumpet that will help my reach my classical tone goal. But a bit of the topic, i was wandering s.coomer, if you happen to know, or a site that show, some exercises that help train to get this dark classical tone ?

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The best exercises for that are listening to some good players that you like the tone of
    (say, Maurice Andre, Phil Smith, Charles Schlueter, Bud Herseth, Hakan Hardenberger, Sergei Nakariakov, etc.).
    Get the sound you want in your head and have that as your sound goal with every note. Any sort of exercise where you can concentrate on your sound will work

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We often get this request. The problem is always the same. We can't know anything about your playing, budget or the market opportunities in your area. That means that the advise is always general and definitely not matched to you.

I think that buying the first pro trumpet should be an adventure and that the player should have a time frame of at least a year to play at least 20 - 100 instruments.

NOTHING replaces experience. Spoon feeding those not in the know does not help them. I keeps them dependent.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin, what took you so loooong? :lol::thumbsup: