Help for Resume Writing? Advice for summer gigs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AaronPlaysTrumpet, Oct 21, 2011.

1. AaronPlaysTrumpet

AaronPlaysTrumpet New Friend

Jul 7, 2011
    Hey guys. I'm starting to think about my summer plans (I'm a college music major) and I'd really like to find an opportunity to travel and play, perhaps on a cruise ship. Does anyone have any good advice or resources on writing a comprehensive musician's resume?

Thanks!

Aaron

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    One thing that helps is keeping tedious records of all it is that you do. If a great and/or well-known performer gives a masterclass at your school, especially if you played on the masterclass, write it down. Also write down a short record of what that musician is known for so you don't forget. Write down important gigs you've played and teachers you've studied with (even if it was only ONE lesson, it still counts), write down any big acts you've opened for. You could also record any and all significant awards you may have gotten while in school (musically related, and only college, no one will care to know anything about high school). Compiling all these things into a comprehensive list looks very impressive to a prospective employer.

There are websites for these sorts of things as well. Just one for starters:

The Musician Resume

I think something also very much worth mentioning is that a perfect resume won't always get you the gig. You HAVE to be able to play well enough to cover it. After all, we are musicians, and we play. We're expected to play well. I'm not saying you don't; I have no idea how you play. But of course, the most important thing about getting a job as a musician will be how you play.

Hope this helps!

3. musicbabe

musicbabe New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    If it helps at all I used http://resumizer.com.
    I was pleased with the options and versatility they provided.
    I created and printed my resume within minutes and I never had to pay anything!! :-) :-P

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You don't need a resume for cruise ship gigs. You need to either do a recorded audition for an agent or cruise line, or do one in person. The cruise lines came to my college each year to recruit and audition. Check if they come to somewhere you can get to, although it is a bit late in the season to do that I think.