Help for the new guy...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ClassicalTrptMike, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try practicing everything very soft for 3 or 4 days. Start with soft long tones up to only G or A above the staff using as little pressure as possible, rest, then play some lip slurring exercises also soft with no pressure,rest,then the first page of Clarke's technical studies ,also soft,rest,then the first page of Clarke's 2nd study with the etude also soft all with no or very little pressure. Put the horn away for the day.
    Performing every day doesn't harm your chops,but improper breathing and excessive pressure will. Think of this as form of physical therapy for your lips. If you do use any pressure put it on your bottom lip,not your top lip.
    Remember correct playing is isn't the enemy,but incorrect playing is.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    classicaltrpmike,
    I think you diagnosed some of your own problem --
    """I'm getting really frustrated because I was working on a performance career, but now I feel like choosing something else. """"
    I'm NOT saying it is all mental, there might be a host of things -- but FRUSTRATION will not help you at all.
    I am a comeback player for 21months, at 45 -- and I know when I hit a wall with the horn -- FRUSTRATION -- creeps in, and overshadows all of the other - FIXABLE issues.
    I wouldn't give up just YET if I were you

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT!!!