Help From the High Note Guys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Buccaneer, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    welcome to the club --- but you can't fix the high range in a month or so -- it takes time ---- and if people tell you otherwise (like it is easy, and you can fix this in a week) ----THEN by all means listen to them, and get back to me next week with those results.
    long tones --- do siren notes ((long tones starting with pp and increasing to FF and then back to pp -- on the same breath --make them smooth, and as long as you can))
    ps. be sure to rest every other day also ---- rest seems counterintuitive, but it helps the lips to recover

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Also, by long terms we dont mean High G the whole time. Go at the A and go up chromatically from there until you cant keep going. Also, long notes are long. Take a big breath, the use ALL of your breath on that note.

rettepnoj likes this.
  3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    There are several ways to build range, and when it comes to most work-outs, you can't go wrong.Long tones, ascending triads, slurs, scales and flow studies will NEVER hurt you. But why oh why "gangsta jazz," our jazz band teacher made us play a few of the charts. Trust me though, you want that shake. Try the range and endurance stuff in the back of the first Vizzutti book. Honestly though, you are still a developing player, it isn't going to just be there. Build a consistent routine, don't just work on hitting notes in the upper range but playing them. Try finding a pretty and romantic melody that you like and play it in the original key. Work it up by 3rds and keep playing it, when it sounds like you are playing high, stop and do it till it sounds normal.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I first had consistent gigs before I ever had a consistent G. $ before G exept after... NOTHING!!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OR the bar keep's daughter... Any you call yourself a trumpet player Al!

By the way... welcome to TM where we teach you about trumpets and LIFE. Al... Get a life!

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer New Friend

Nov 23, 2011
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone. More advice is always welcome. I will take it all into account and hopefully in a few months I'll have that G! If not I will get it eventually!

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ever played lead on Gordon Goodwin stuff? Pat Methany stuff? Arturo Sandoval stuff? Michael Buble? Harry Connick Jr.? Allens Fire Dance? The high notes are there :woop:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    D.C. Al fine likes this.
  8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    A lead player that can't play above an E must also work at Applebees or Papa Johns.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And those above E... White Castles!

10. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Buccaneer,
    The four essential ingredients needed to play high notes are Wind Power, Tongue Level, Embouchure Contraction, and Mouthpiece Pressure. To learn the correct way to develop each of these, turn to Claude Gordon. Also, many, if not most high note player prefer larger throat sizes in their mouthpieces, 19"-24" on average.