Help From the High Note Guys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Buccaneer, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    I apologize for not breaking up my reply in smaller paragraphs. I'll try not to let it happen again. Now more to the OP:

Concentrate on practicing Clarke's Technical Studies (which Jon Faddis recommends for building range); Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities etc. I personally use Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach because it breaks things down into 52 weekly lessons. If you practice technique correctly, then your range can build naturally over time. Clarke's Technical Study number one will build your range if you play it softly, 16 times in one breath and expand all the way up to the last exercise. By playing this exercise as Clarke states, you are forced to use air compression etc. It is also basically LONG TONES as you are playing each exercise 16 times in one breath. Furthermore, you could play exercise number 12, then 11, then 13, then 10, then 14, then 9, then 15 etc. that is a technique many of Bill Adams students use (so I have been told by several) Thus, you are playing something somewhat higher ... then lower and so on.

I use a metronome and rest as many beats as I have just played with EACH exercise. Remember, you are BUILDING your chops, not destroying them !!

The biggest obstacle is learning how to support the air with enough force to elicit really fast air compression. Probably most have the strength in their corners (embouchure) to play high; however, they don't realize the force or support needed to attain the fast air compression necessary.

Frankly, we are ALL individuals. Everyone doesn't wear a size 12 shoe. It's no different with mouthpieces. Find a mouthpiece that affords you with great tone FIRST and stay with it. I wouldn't let anyone (regardless of their status) tell me what equipment to use as YOU must determine what is comfortable for you.

Shallow and Deep (mouthpiece sizes) are absolutely RELATIVE !! If you have a very small mouth and very thin lips (as I do) ... a Bach 3C is a huge mouthpiece! My Monette Prana BL2 S3 is very comfortable to my chops; however, most would classify it as a shallow mouthpiece. As I have almost zero lip intrusion into the mouthpiece, I can utilize the entire cup and not fill part of it up with lip. In my opinion, that is how so many artist are successful in playing small pieces ... zero lip intrusion and thus no "bottoming out" (where your lip swells into the cup and cuts everything off.

Building range takes some time. Be patient, relax and enjoy the journey.

This post lovingly broken up into small bites.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    And now readable. Thank you.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What he said.

And thanks for the comments about why to play the Clark so many times in one breath. I've read the "do" many times, but never the "why" as you explained it.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    It is a Law of Acoustics that every time you go an octave higher, the velocity of the vibration doubles. That why it is possible for most beginners to increase their range from Low C to Tuning C in a few weeks, while most players never play a double high C.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    c'mon -- we are trumpet players -- -most never play a double high C -- well!!!! -- BUT WE ALL PLAY IT --- just ask us!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    LOL 16times? 8-16 times I think it says, I'm lucky if I get to 7 times - I gues I must play it faster with better technique...........

I'd be satisfied if I could play it 8 times which is I think the minium. 16? Well I'll keep trying...............for I a very long time I think.........