HELP! Gig tonight; washed horns, lost valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alextrumpet, May 28, 2006.

1. alextrumpet

alextrumpet New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    What can I use as a quick sub for valve oil?

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Ummmmm.... You are in California and as I read this you still have time to get in the car and go to a music store and buy valve oil! If you are a pro player good enough to play gigs then you should also have other friends with valve oil. And just out of curiosity, why do you only own one bottle of valve oil? That if that one bottle leaks or turns over?

3. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    :shock: How can a brass player own only one bottle of valve oil??? :?:

Paul

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Try kerosene.

Michael McLaughlin

5. Fudleysmith

Fudleysmith Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Niantic, CT
    Go to Wal-mart and get some Ultra-pure Lamp oil (for old style kerosene lamps) it kinda smells bad, but it works Ok.

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't want to sound like a dumb little teenage smart-ass or anything, I'm just kind of curious about this. But if you have the time to post on a forum and waiting for responses, wouldn't it have been easier/quicker to just find some valve oil real quick. If you're playing a gig with other people, I'm sure someone there has some, and if not, I'm sure theres a music store not to far away.

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    My thoughts exactly - how many bottles do you guys own?
    From where I am sitting I can see 14 bottles (ranging from Yamaha through to Snake Oil and Eclipse), I know that I have at least one bottle in every case and there are other bottles secreted around the house and in the schools I teach in :lol:

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I received a PM from somebody suggesting it was Sunday and no music stores were open. I've been a working pro for 30-years and I feel certain, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that any music store in my city would open for me on Christmas Day if I needed something. Sunday, holidays, those people are there to serve you if you are major player in your town.

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I have two in sight where I'm sitting at the computer, a couple others sitting on top of my computer cabinet, two in my gig bag (in case one runs out) and one in each case. I usually get 'em by the dozen from brasswind, much cheaper that way and it lasts a long time, Hetman synthetic.

Michael McLaughlin

"I used to think, how could jazz musicians pick notes out of thin air? I had no idea of the knowledge it took. It was like magic to me at the time." Calvin Hill

10. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    WD40

Two things a man should always have, WD40 and Gaffer Tape.

1) If it moves, but shouldn't: Use the Gaffer Tape.

2) If it should move, but doesn't: Use the WD40.

This problem falls into category 2. WD40, cures all lubrication problems!

Disclaimer: This post is not to be taken serioulsy by trumpeters with sticky valves. If you are daft enough to put WD40 on your valves, you really shouldn't be allowed to bathe yourself.