HELP! Gig tonight; washed horns, lost valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alextrumpet, May 28, 2006.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Wow...you only have one bottle?

I know that...in my case with my Eclipse in it...I have....3 or four bottles of stuff...the stuff I let the other trumpet players use (Blue juice or Al Cass) and the stuff only I use (Snake Oil and Blue Juice)...yeah, I'm cheap, I keep the best stuff to myself. lol.

Hmm...I've heard that vegetable oil (like canola or olive) works well in a pinch, though, I've never tried it and I don't intend to (well, I might on my old student horn...).

Good luck, and next time, make sure you buy more than one bottle at a time! lol.

Lara

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    On the relatively new Miles davis DVD, Another Kind Of Blue, which chronicles his performance at the Isle of Wight in August of 1970, there is a point where Miles takes a valve out and licks it! Then plays until his posterior falls off, without a glitch. It seemed to work but I'm not about to try that!

Michael McLaughlin

"If Marxey Heller's so f***ing smart how come he's so f***ing dead?" Jack Nicholson's character in Prizzi's Honor, to Kathleen Turner as they about to get married.

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Well, in marching band, we found that taking a valve out and spitting on it and putting it back in helped get through a show. It's so annoying when you're just about to enter the field for competition and you notice that your 2nd valve is sticking!

It worked, but I don't recommend doing that over and over again. lol.

Lara

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, I noticed spit works quite well for a short time. We were playing in the stands at a football game and my valve kept sticking, so I pulled out my tuning slide and dumped the watery spitty stuff onto my valve, it worked for the rest of the night. I guess you could say I recycled my spit!

5. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    13, and those are only the ones I can see. At least 1 bottle in each case
    and gig bag and 1 in the glove compartment in the car (along with one each
    emergency cornet m'piece and trumpet m'piece).

Paul

6. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota

Before Marching band, Jazz Band ,or any other type of performence I had in high school I always oiled, greased and polished my horn. I have a hard time spitting in public and I'm a guy!!!! Shame on you Lara... :-P :bleah: