Help guys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lefty90, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Lefty90

Lefty90 New Friend

Oct 23, 2009
    Hey hows it going guys. I know this is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a while just never really tried to post anything because I myself am a new trumpet player. I am 18 years old on the verge of 19 and I have been playing the trumet for 2 months, I am currently not satisfied with my results, It´s as if I am in the dark. I really don´t have anyone to help me or give me advice. my largest problem is my embrochure. I tried to learn the zero pressure technique but it didn´t work out, I have to always moe my lips around while having them on the mouthpiece before blowing a tone correctly. It is also a large problem when I am trying to do lip slurs, I tried looking for pages on the internet to help me change my embrochure but I do not know where to look for good advice. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Sorry if it is little information on the way I play, if you need more to solve the problem then just ask. Thanks a lot guys.

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Gidday Lefty
    You have stated that you have only playing for two monthes,
    this is not much time at all to be worried about your embrochure as you proberbly haven't got one.
    My best advice to you is to get a good teacher and lisern to what he or she may have to say. Practice every day and be patiant.

Cheers Chenzo.

ps move to the right a little:-)

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Don't try to learn something like the no pressure technique without a teacher.
    The only way you will become very successful is if you get a teacher. Reading the internet will only lead you down the wrong path, because a lot of what we talk about can be pretty specific, and as someone with no experience, you lack the ability to weed out the important information from the other fluff.

Play long tones to develop your tone, and learn the chromatic scale. For long tones, just hold a note for a full breath and then rest for a few beats. You want to focus on making a nice pure sound with a clear attack and release. I wouldn't focus on a specific embouchure type (or whatever people call it) because you don't have enough knowledge to go into that kind of detail. Position the mouthpiece so if feels comfortable and gets you the best sound. It is probably somewhere around the center of your face.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As Chenzo and Brekelefuw have said, learning the trumpet is a long-term activity. It will take awhile to develop an embouchure, tone, range, endurance, style and all of the other characteristics needed to be a real musician. We realize that not everyone has access to a teacher due to geography, finances, or other constraints even though having a teacher is the ideal path. Certainly the internet has its limitations as far as conveying information for things like embouchure but if that's all that you have available and you are careful, it can be a resource. There are a lot of posts here on this forum that relate to techniques and tips for new players. Go through them and see if some of them relate to where you are in your development. Here is a good starting video on Youtube. There are 10 in this series. Check them out.

YouTube- Trumpet Lesson #1 - Air and Embouchure

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Ah, the impatience of youth -- ain't it grand?

I'd be totally surprised (and worried) if after only 2 months you were satisfied with your results.

Take the advice the others have given to heart, and keep practicing. Make sure it's a daily activity and a carefully planned out activity -- don't just whip the instrument out of the case and start trying to play songs. Warm up mouthpiece buzzing and then carefully with long, low, soft tones. THEN start trying to play songs/exercises.

But it's best if you work out of a well-thought-out lesson book instead of simply trying to learn songs with a fingering chart beside the music.

I teach out of The Cornet Student Level 1 (for beginners) and have for 30 years and haven't found a better book for individual instruction, with the order in which it introduces the notes and the rhythms, and the gradual way it increases the range.

One word of warning if you already know how to play another instrument -- you still need to work through a lesson book gradually. Your brain is smart and can pick up the fingerings quickly, but your muscles are stupid and need daily work on the same exercises to build up to what is needed to play the trumpet properly. Kids in 3rd/4th/5th grade have no problem with working on a single page or so for an entire week before moving onto the next page. As we get older we get much more impatient because our brains can grasp the intellectual aspect of the music so much more quickly and we forget that our muscles need to develop gradually to become strong enough to do what we want.

Think of weight-lifters -- they know how to bench-press 200, even 300 pounds when they start, but if they can only actually bench-press 50 pounds, they need to work themselves up gradually over a long period of time before they even get to the 100 pound level. Same goes for any sport -- I use the example of throwing a 95-MPH fastball with my students. I tell them that I know how to do that. Then I tell them to ask me if I can really do that and when they finally ask the question I tell them "No -- just because I know how to do something doesn't make me able to do it. I need to practice slowly and carefully to build up my muscles so that they can do it consistently and for a long period of time. And I haven't taken the time to do that with a fastball. But I do know how to do it.;-)"

So, patience, young grasshopper.

6. Lefty90

Lefty90 New Friend

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys, I do have a cousin that helps me out he taught me how to read music. Sorry if I say word in music terms wrong as I am learning eveything in spanish. I must say that I do get impatient myself, I am trying myself out at a realistic level, I know I can´t play a song yet, but like playing the octave scale to a good degree is something I think I should be able to do, but I do sometimes and at other times I dont. I am leaning towards buying a begginers book and have heard a lot of good things on the Arban book, do you guys have any other recommendations? Thanks for the info I do not take the advice wrong, it allows me to view the problem from another perspective and realize things faster thanks.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The Arban's book is not a beginner's book, not by a long shot. Unless you're working with a teacher who knows how to use it as a beginner's book.

If you're working on your own, look for The Cornet Student, Level 1, published in the USA by Alfred (used to be Warner Brothers), part of the Student Instrumental Course.

It's much more gradual and better suited for beginners.