Help!! having difficulty finding sources for music report

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet guy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I am currently enrolled in IB Music (Music Appreciation/History/Theory) and we have to find sources for a musical investigation as they call it. Sources can include books, websites, scores, recordings, etc. that gives insight or information on both topics so the student can write an educated paper. It's a compare and contrast report of two different musical cultures. I chose western baroque music and jazz, considering the influence of African music on jazz as well as the similarities between the two types of music (baroque and jazz). But I don't know where to look for sources.

So here comes the point, I'm looking for:

(a) good recordings/scores (or charts for jazz) that will give me more of a feeling of the styles of the two types of music,
    (b) books/websites that will give me information on the development of jazz, basic jazz theory, performance practices of the baroque era, and
    (c) cheap (legal) ways of attaining them.

Thanks in advance

2. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Have you tried the "big three" ... Google, Wikipedia and YouTube? They should get you started.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yep........ have you tried just searching for those subjects? There's lots of info out there. You will have to do this yourself!

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I'm not sure exactly how to search, though. I was always used to finding books in the library or from teacher provide links and websites.
    but there are no music history books in the library.
    And especially recordings, I have no idea where to find them, or which ones to go for.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    You need to move out of your high school library and head to the public library... or even better, if there is a University in your area, go use theirs! Most public library's will have a large music section and you can find lots of stuff about music history there. Look at what your wrote in (b) and google those terms (development of jazz; basic jazz theory; performance practices of the baroque era) you should be able to find lots of info. Let us know how it goes for you. After you have put the effort forth and found some info, I am sure people here will be happy to help you understand it all!! Good searching!

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Thanks for the advice,
    I didn't have much trouble finding the books and websites. However, I don't know where to find recordings that are the epitome of representation for the ideas of improvisation and style on the two periods. Baroque music, I can find in my class text book and look for them, but I have no idea what recordings to go after for jazz. I really don't listen to much jazz.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Our town library has a large CD selection. Does yours?

8. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's as good a start as any ... then you've only got about 80 more years worth of catching up to do! :-)

9. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    nope. It's a tiny section and most of it is classical and rock/rap/michael jackson stuff.

My media player can't play that for some reason. Do I need some special media player update to play .rams? What's the song?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Get Miles Davis - Kind of Blue for a recording.

Then use Wikipedia's articles, but quote from the footnotes telling you where THEIR article is sourced from. Most professors/teachers don't take kindly to Wikipedia.