help! help! help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AutumnLeaves, Jun 23, 2008.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

and its only 1&2 that does this? :?:

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    if i were you i'd switch to an instrument that resembled the one in your avatar and then go hang out on one of their forums...

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The thing is, you can make a trumpet sound like horn,
    just stick your hand in the bell and miss a lot of notes, and nobody will know the difference

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If the problem is with the 1&2 valve combination, then you would have the same trouble with 1st line E, 3rd space C#, low A - any pitch where you use the same combination. How do those play?

5. AutumnLeaves

AutumnLeaves New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    All those notes aren't right either, but the most obvious note is second space A. It comes out as breathy and it takes a lot of work to actually get it, but it still isn't coming out right. I don't know. :S

Actually, CHAMP, I already do. :-)
    And very funny bagmangood.:lol:

6. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    take your horn to school and have someone show you how to work it...it has been 3 days since you started having problems, i seriously don't understand...trumpets aren't that hard to put together, there are only so many combinations...:dontknow:

read very carefully and i will tell you how to fix it...

assuming you know which end to blow into, hold the trumpet like you are going to play it...the valve farthest from you is the 3rd valve...next closest is the 2nd...next closest is the 1st

take the valves out.

the valves have numbers on them, put them in the correct hole...rotate them to make sure the valve guides click into the slots

now go practice and stop asking inane questions!!!

7. AutumnLeaves

AutumnLeaves New Friend

Jun 23, 2008

my valves are in the correct hole and are rotated to the right position. i've already checked that millions of times. quoting your words, it's been three days since i've started playing. geez. sorry my questions seem idiotic, but i'm not a trumpet genius like you. and i thought this forum was for support, not to be spiteful to others who may need help. there's a lot of people that have helped me in a nice way, and i'd appreciate it if you would as well. thank you.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Autumn,
    don't get discouraged! We are here to help!

The problem with the internet is that we don't see or know one another and can't hear you play. That is why we don't always react as expected. Most times a post that seems hard, really isn't. The power of words is an art not universally mastered. Just take it in stride.

As you get things figured out for yourself, you too can join the "helpers". The more the merrier! Have a great day!

9. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    "inane - 1. silly: irritatingly silly or time-wasting2. insubstantial: empty, insubstantial, or void"

- quoted from

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861620543/inane.html

You are insulting a new member, and your insult might cause the new member to leave Trumpet Master.

If you can't be nice, then don't post.

(Now let's see if the moderators temporarily ban me from Trumpet Master the same way they did 12 months ago when I came to someone else's defense.)

- Morris

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Autumn,

Maybe air is leaking past a valve. Is the horn old and well-used? If the valves are loose in their cylinders because they are worn, you could get an airy sound. Try using just #one and then #two - play an F and an F# and listen for airiness. You might be able to isolate it to one valve. Also check the two slides and the area where they connect to the horn. There are tubes between the valves too - air goes first into #3 and passes to #2 and then #1. Make sure there is no foreign matter (cloth from cleaning, etc) in those passages, or a split seam where air could leak out.

The service technician at your local music store would probably check it for you for free. Or ask your best trumpet-playing classmate, or the band director.

You'll get it fixed, I am sure. But about the not-so-friendly post: If you plan to play the trumpet you are going to need a thick skin. Tact and sensitivity are not common amongst musicians, and perhaps even less so amongst those who choose the trumpet. It's kind of an in-your-face instrument and so are those who play it. I am not insulting anyone, and it isn't a put-down, but have found from personal experience that it is true.

But I loved your response.