help! help! help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AutumnLeaves, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I second the opnion to take it to a repair tech. The one your school uses would be a good starting point.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I didn't read every post but did we check the water key corks?:-)

3. andrew_jordan

andrew_jordan Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I heard about someone's marching horn one time... they got candy and sodas and stuff in the stands. Ate a bunch of crap in between shorties. One day during rehearsal the horn clogged up. No moving air. They took it all apart and a mass of maggots had hatched in the main tuning slide crook. At least your problem wasn't that.

4. AutumnLeaves

AutumnLeaves New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    to all your suggestions; i'm going to check everything when i get the chance. i was outside all day today enjoying the nice weather. :-)

and veery715; i agree with you completely. i do consider myself rather thick-skinned, but i was just standing up for myself and not letting people run over me. thanks to screamingmorris as well. :-)

andrew_jordan; that is one of the most disgusting things i've ever heard. i'm quite glad that's not my problem. :shock:

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I used a school horn in college once, and I cracked every time I needed to play the A above the staff. Examined the horn and found a small hole(!) in the second valve tuning slide where someone used pliers or something to pull it out.

BTW, I'm not sure I but the maggot story......

6. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Nor do I BUY the maggot story....

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Dunno about maggots but I have sat next to a young "lady" who blythely scoured food out of her mouthpiece with a knitting needle - and in the middle of a gig - strangely she didn't play too badly afterwards - I, on the other hand, made full use of a handy plastic bag, yuck - my skin still crawls.