Help! Historical information!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChicMusique, May 25, 2009.

1. ChicMusique

ChicMusique New Friend

May 20, 2009
    Central PA & Southern NJ
    Hello, fellow trumpet friends. I'm currently preparing for a recital coming up in the next year. My list of pieces includes:

Legend - George Enesco
    Trumpet Concerto - Edward Gregson
    Quintet No. 3 - Victor Ewald
    Paths - Toru Takemitsu

I'm working really hard on the technical portion, but I need help with the "musical" aspect of learning these pieces. There aren't many recordings of a couple of them and because of that I don't have many varied interpretations of the pieces. My question to this forum within the trumpet world, is:

Can anyone tell me any historical information or anything about any of these pieces? Anything about the composers thought-process, imagery, historical significance, ANYTHING would be of great help.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for recordings, that would be brilliant also. Thank you!

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Chic,

You may find this Brass-Forum.co.uk - Programme Notes useful. Phil Smith has recorded a CD with the Legend which I recommend. If I am not mistaken, Hardenberger has recorded both Paths and Gregson's concerto. Good luck.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Ewald #3 has been recorded by the Stockholm Chamber Brass. It is my reference for ensemble playing. It was originally for a string quintet and lacks the brass character of Ewalds 1st and 2nd quintet.

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    There are 2 pretty new recordings of the Gregson. Ole Edvard Antonsen and Christopher Moore. Both are great.

I second Rowuk's recommendation of the Stockholm Chamber Brass recording of the Ewald. Really tasteful playing on that whole CD.