Help! I have to play french horn in a week!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kanstulmeha440, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Just stick your hand in the bell and play every other note wrong. Very few people will notice the difference between you and the regular French Horn Players. [​IMG]

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And every time you kaack a note, pull all the slides and shake them (upside down) as if you were removing water. Then give your trumpet a "French horn roll" and reassemble.... making certain to "clink" the slides as you reinstall them. If you really blow the note badly you might want to peer up inside each slide as if expecting to find a dead mouse in there somewhere. That should pretty much complete the image!

3. kanstulmeha440

kanstulmeha440 New Friend

Feb 6, 2005
    Detroit
    they're not going on the band trip because they can't afford it. we only have two hornists to begin with, the the cruise we're going on costs about $1,500. I fundraised my buhunkus off so I had to pay about half that

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Something is wrong here:
    The lazy ones get to stay home, saying they just can't afford it?
    They couldn't afford to do the hard work that you did?

When I was director, nobody got to decide what "band activities" they participated in, whether it was tour or pep band or a concert or practice sheets, ......

5. kanstulmeha440

kanstulmeha440 New Friend

Feb 6, 2005
    Detroit
    well first off it's not a tour, it's a trip, and I don't think they can make it mandatory at that price (or any price for that matter). and I think one of them is going on vacation with his family actually, and the other lives with his grandma and his aunt. his grandma's retired and his aunt is a teacher so she doesn't make that much money, and with the tuition as high as it is at my school she can't afford it. he did do some fundraising too

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yep, I know where kanstulmeha and the parents are coming from. Our kids' director "floated" the idea of a trip to Italy this year! (I have twins, both in band). It was going to cost approx. $3,000 EACH. Now, since I've been planning a trip to Europe for the family next summer there is no way that I could swing that handle neither. Sometimes band directors have been known to overreach the ability of the parents to pay (or play!). The vast majority (I think around 70%) of the parents felt the same way so the trip was off (now they're discussing a four day bus trip to Banff...not a bad alternative if music is the purpose!)

I feel sorry for the kids who cannot go; I am amazed that there are still enough who can make (afford) the trip to make it worth while even going! Seldom are these trips paid for or even subsidized by school boards these days... it's up to the parents and kids to come up with the cash.

I still think Kanstul should just play the parts on the flugel. :-)

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    The school where I teach has a trip to DC this year for right at $1000. Next year we will be taking the band to Orlando for about $550/member including breakfast everyday, two dinners (including a dinner theater), tickets to the parks, transportation, and hotel. They will be asking me to put together the school trip the year after that. There is no reason that trips cannot be done for a reasonable price if the director is willing to do the leg work.

8. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I am a teacher and we don't have any Frnch Horns in school at all so I played the French Horn part on Flugel to help the conductor out with the School Orchestra. The transposition is easy - down a 4th ideally (up a 5th when it goes too low). I have to be honest in that I cheated and wrote the notes in pencil on the music though! It sounded OK and was certainly better than having no horn part.

If he is dead set against the mellaphone (I know very little about these instruments being British) try asking him to get a flugel for you to use and try this instead. I personally wouldn't play a French Horn and would play it on a Flugel.

MM

9. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    My school is doing the exact same thing! except the trip to dc is cheaper because i live really close.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You can't make this adjustment in a week or even two. Pitch accuracy on a F horn is hard esp. for a trumpet player. You'll just end up cracking most of the notes and you'll filll bad. you would need at least a month to do this. Why was this so last minute?
    Usually these trips are planned months in advance. I would just tell him you didn't realize it would be so hard. Get your parents to support you on this. Remember this quote " lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

Bob Grier