Help! I have to play french horn in a week!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kanstulmeha440, Mar 16, 2005.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Frankly I think it's ridiculous. You pay tuition, so is it high school or higher?

Whatever, french horns are as hard to play in tune as any mellophone (which was built to be a substitute for a french horn which doesn't lend itself to marching), especially by someone who has just begun to play. It is a totally unreasonable request from the director, who wants that part to be heard, but is unwilling to compromise re. how it is done, at the expense of your chops, your face (the kind one saves) when you sound awful in public, and your stress level.

I'd tell him it's mellophone, flugelhorn, or you don't do it. You did your work and raised money and are PAYING the difference. Now if he was paying YOU that would be different. It would be better to have no fhorns than someone kaacking or playing out of tune. Your best chance, tell him, of providing what he wants, is to play the mellophone, which needs no transposing at the last moment, and which you'll be able to lip in tune with your trumpet background.

One of the most difficult things to learn in life is to say no. When you say you HAVE TO play it, what exactly transpired in your dialog with the director? Did he order you to do it?(No) Did he ask you? Did he raise the concern and you volunteered?

If he asked, then you could have (and probably should have) said no, but didn't. If you volunteered you demonstrated that you are a team player. Either way there should still be room for compromise. So the adult thing to do is tell him exactly what you are willing to do to help out, and if he won't accept it, that is his choice, and you are off the hook. He can ask a t'bonist :lol:to sub instead.

2. Jim J

Jim J New Friend

Oct 7, 2008
    "When was the last time you heard a HORN section in tune?"

HA

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Yes this seems viable as well. A trombone, in the right range, can sound a lot more like a french horn than a Flugel can (especially if the play the entire thing with the F trigger engaged) But, last time I checked, trombones don't read treble clef, maybe if one of them is a piano play then reading the different clef might not be much of a problem.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Since this is obviously bothering you a lot, and it would me. Then just politely say that you want to be a trumpet player and that you want to only play trumpet. Have you asked why he is choosing you and not someone else? Does he think you would make a better horn player than trumpet player? Having been a band director for many years, I understand that he wants that voice in the band. However, there are other ways of covering the voice, for example saxophone, muted trumpet, and some of the ideas that have already been given. You have to do what is best for you. Do you have a trumpet teacher who will contact the director for you? Will your parents be proactive enough to tell him your feelings. I, for one, would not do it and as a band director never ask anyone to substitute on an instrument that I did not have in the band.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I have a hard time supporting your attitude and the suggestions given in this thread if you VOLUNTEERED to play. Had the director told you that you were not going to play trumpet and you had to play the horn, then I could see why you would be upset... but it seems to me that you ponied up to do it... so stick with your commitment! It is high school band for god sake, enjoy the experience and when you are filling out your college applications be sure to tell them you played french horn on a cruise. :thumbsup:

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, 30 years ago I was drafted into the horn section from the 3rd trumpet section. The horn is a challenge, and I had more than a week to get ready to perform. However, if you set about it with a good attitude the worst that will happen is you'll crack a few notes in performance... which seems always to happen in the horn section anyway :lol:
    Besides, I've always felt that learning how to slot notes on the horn made me a better trumpet player. Sounds like expectations should be low for this experiment given the timeline you've got. This is your free license to have some fun on a different instrument and, maybe, exceed everyone's expectations :thumbsup:

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Who died and made your Director King?

If you don't want to play french horn, then don't!

If he won't let you go on the trip for exercising your right to say "NO" then why would you want to be stuck on the trip with the guy? Wonderful company, ay?

Tell him that trumpet is your passion, you aren't interested in playing french horn and stick to it.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    GUYS!!!!!

Unless you guys are replying to help anyone else in this situation, please realise that this post is from February 2005.

-cw-

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    So do you think he went on the cruise yet, Chuck?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Seriously, the OP date info, though visible, is not prominent. It would be a good challenge for the forum engineers/designers/managers/etc to find a way to display that information BOLDLY as part of the process when some one goes to post a reply.