Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horatiodante

horatiodante New Friend

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    I am a returning cornet player with a Beuscher cornet.
    I've been playing. I like my sound. I like to breathe through my nose, and will try breathing through the corners of my mouth (without changing my embouchure).

My range is aweful. E on the staff can sound o.k. to nice, G and A sound like a tortured from and forget the B.

I have two weeks. Please help. :huh:

Here's the link to the required piece: http://www.pensacolacivicband.org/2008PreparedExercise/Prepared_Exercise_2008_Trumpet_in_Bflat.pdf

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    From what you've posted, your only hope for a high B in two weeks is prayer. You can't play high notes if you don't practice high notes, but building range is a long process. Beating up your lip for two weeks will be counterproductive. Concentrate on the rest of the piece and even if you can't get the higher notes, play the rest with a good tone and make it sound musical (style & dynamics).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    I'll second Dale's good advice...Wow them with the rest of your technical skills and miss the note if you must.

4. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    I agree with the above posts that extending range takes more than 2 weeks. However, as a comeback player myself, I must admit that I was able to overcome a sticking point in my range by playing the scale using long, sustained tones with attention to mpc pressure and the quality of my sound. I held each note a long count (15?) then went up one step and did the same thing. I stopped going up the scale when my sound fell off or when I cracked a note, then I did the same thing going down the scale. I feel certain, although it has been a while back, that it took me several weeks to see any improvement. When I started this exercise my upper range was limited to A - B (above the staff) and within a few weeks my range had been extended 3-4 steps. As an aside, I have been satisfied with my range since then and have not been using this exercise... (maybe I should try it again).

5. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    Practicing pedal (petal? not sure) tones has helped my range. Do a chromatic scale from C below the staff down an octave. The fingerings are exactly the same as they are an octave up, but for the low C 1-2-3 lipped down from the C# works too. Sometimes I also find alternate B fingering (1- -3) works better.

BTW on the fingerings I wrote: the numbers are valves pressed down, and the space isn't pressed.

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    When the high B comes up, just sing it through the horn. Maybe no one will notice? ;)

Seriously, that piece has just a single B and most of it is in the middle register. I wouldn't worry if you have trouble with just a couple notes. Plenty of room to shine on the rest of it.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Hmm! If G and A sound tortured, don't know if I would try the B, but here's what you can try along with all the other good advice you've gotten. I would start doing chromatics yesterday and do them until your bored stiff then do some more. Use as little pressure as possible. Remember it is practice and you're not trying to impress anyone. Go as high as you can musically then as low as you can go. Do this over and over and over and over until you feel tired and rest at least 3 minutes to get the blood flowing and you recover. Then do it again (sounds fun huh!).If you don't already have this, you should get it. Trumpet Warm-ups by Walter Moeck. Catalog # 080-0131-24 and do exactly what he says to do with regards to rest between exercises. If you do not properly warm up before you PRACTICE, you won't have a good practice and you will get frustrated and not develop the endurance and range you (we) desire. Also, I advise that you take your mouthpiece and keep it in your pocket and play it whenever you get the chance. If that is not possible, then just buzz w/o it. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.:thumbsup:

8. horatiodante

horatiodante New Friend

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thank you everyone! I will work on all the things suggested. And I will buy the book suggested.

I will also play several times a day of shorter duration.
    And I will take my mouthpiece on the day long trip that is coming up. :lol:
    The family will love that!

I will update all of you with my results and success.
    If I believe I will be successful, I will become successful. I will re-evaluate, re-tool if needed, and proceed on my way towards success. So I know your suggestions will work. :D

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is typical that an audition will ask for principal player kinds of chops even for a section chair. Part of this is that the folk listening only know the first part; if you nail the lower part they will have stupid looks and ask what you just played, even though you've nailed the third part on the required piece.

Learn it all, learn it well, and kick butt!

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find the approach not very sensible. We all need to have a realistic view of who we are and our place in the order of things. That makes life generally easier to deal with.

The ONLY hope that I see is not in anonymous advice, rather a lesson with a GREAT teacher that can show you what you are doing wrong. If it is breathing, pressure, body use, whatever, the difference between G and B is not that great. Having your range just stop at a specific note generally means that too much pressure is being used to compensate for the weak rest. If you remove the pressure at your stage of playing (weak chops and breathing), then you lose even more range.

Get a lesson (or 2). I am sure that the secret is in your breathing and practice routine. That is a lot (too much) for two weeks without a personal coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.