Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Oh, also incorporate long tones into your practice routine. What rowuk said about lessons/a teacher is very sound advice. Shouldn't be too hard to find in your area.

2. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Maybe try a different mouthpiece. I've been told that some pros will swap their mpc(during the preformance) to achieve quality high notes...

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Horatio,
    I think I can help. Sometimes (and I've seen this alot) a person gets into a mental state where they are trying to do something (say for example playing a particular note or difficult passage) and they end up psyching themselves out. We're not the only one's who can experience this. Race horses can have this problem as so can dogs.
    Do this:
    1)Watch Urban Angas' videos (they're free) on flow and pay particular attention on what he says about breathing and relaxation.
    2)Then read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment.
    If you're breathing is incorrect, do what Angas says, its pretty easy.
    If you're using too much pressure, think of the lips as a "meat pillow".
    Do not smash crush or flatten the pillow. Use the muscles at the corners of the mouth instead of using the "arm-strong" method.
    You'll know when you're doing it correctly because there will come a time when you will think of your lips like reeds.
    In general, I think you're going to find that sometimes the harder we try, the more difficult it becomes to achieve the goal. We've all been there. Its almost like we get in our own way.
    3)The next thing to do is:
    Look through a magazine and find the prettiest woman you can find.
    Cut out the picture and tape it on your stand or place it where you can see it when you play. When you play, look at the picture and play to her. If there's one thing that can take a person's mind off a frustrating task is an attractive member of the opposite sex. Play to her/him.
    I've got a cut out of a super model that's been on my music stand for 20 years. When I can't get my act together or there's some mental block I'm having trouble with, I play to her.
    Don't underestimate our ability to get in our own way. Sometimes a little "redirection" is just the medicine that's needed to help us achieve our goals.
    Good luck

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Whoever made that statement is someone that you should not trust. Mouthpieces do not change the notes that you can play. Pros do not need different hardware for quality high or low notes. That is what practice is for. That is a function of YOU. A mouthpiece can change the sound.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

So who's the "lucky" gal you serenade? :roll:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I hate threads like these because there's no good answer due to the fact that the task "required" is next to impossible. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

I once had a mom bring a kid to me to work with the kid on a piece of music that he had to know in a week's time. I guess they felt that if they took the kid to a teacher, or at least some other experienced trumpet player then it was going to miraculously cause this kid to be able to play it. When I took a look at the chart - a marching band show - I just shook my head. I might have been able to play it in a week's time, but there was no way that this kid was going to be able to do it. I ran the kid through the basics of the chart, told him to work on it as much as he could, but that there was nothing I was going to be able to show him that would magically make him learn it any faster than simply putting in the hard work. And did I mention that a good 1/3rd of this music was outside of his usable range?

Gaining a half octave of range on your chops in two weeks is not likely to happen, no matter what you practice. Developing a trumpet embouchure is not something for the impatient to tackle.

7. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    rowuk
    This is what I was TOLD, by a Professional, mind you.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are a lot of pros who switch out mouthpieces all the time - sometimes between phrases of a song. I've gigged with a couple of guys who do. Having said that, they don't technically "need" to do it - they are fine players whether they switch out a mouthpiece or not.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Toby asks:
    So who's the "lucky" gal you serenade?
    -----------------------------------------
    Daniela Peštová
    I said 20 years. More correctly, I'd say she's been on my music stand since the late 1990's

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    horatio,

Will the band let you play an octave lower on that note or series of notes?

You may finger the note correctly, but hitting it solid may be another thing? Any others helping to play that part to cover your note (or lack thereof) when you arrive at the place of the elusive B? Seriously, you may need a "Plan B" in case the "B" is unreachable at this stage of your comeback playing.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.