Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    To play higher instantly, use the octave key and press as hard as possible.

PS, just so you know, that was sarcastic advice.

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I was in attendance of one of the masterclasses given by Joe Burgstaller. If you don't know him, he's one of the trumpet players for Canadian Brass and teaches at the Peabody Conservatory in John Hopkins.

At the masterclass, he had a volunteer come up so he could work with him/her. The volunteer was a girl, much smaller than most of the guys in the room. Didn't have a great sound or range.

In an hour, he got her to hit the C above the staff without pinching her sound. It wasn't a crazy perfect superb C, as one would hear from Phil Smith in a Mahler symphony, but it was still very decent considering she could never have done that herself in an hour.

Perhaps you should pay a lot of money and get Joe Burgstaller to give you a lesson or two. :-) (Or any other great teacher in his level...)

Keehun

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I told you, don't trust the guy. There are all sorts of players out there. If you "need" multiple mouthpieces on the same horn in the same piece to give you a "quality" sound in a particular register, then you are not a quality player. Just getting paid for playing does not mean that the playing method used is worth passing on..........

I stand by my comment. The mouthpiece will not give you the "quality". In this threads case, we are talking about a cornet player that is not a pro.

I will switch mouthpieces in a concert - for different horns or different pieces. Never because of the high notes.

4. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Then I need help here....
    if a mouthpiece is designed to enhance the higher registery, would this not fall under the category of "right tool for the right job?" My initial response was actually a question, rather than a statement.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

My opinion. In general mouthpieces are about sound, not range. A "lead" mouthpiece won't give you more notes at the top of your register, but it can help shape the sound and focus for you.

My range is the same on all of my mouthpieces. How much effort and focus I need to play a bright, solid A above high C is different depending on which mouthpiece I use.

Similarly, trying to play soft, fluffy notes below middle C is harder with my "lead" piece. Not because I don't have the notes, but my lead piece wasn't really designed for a soft fluffy lower register.

If you don't have a regular high B today on your current equipment, you won't have a reliable one in two weeks if you switch to a new mouthpiece.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You are not far from FSU (Tallahasee) which has a fine music department. Get a few lessons from trumpet prof or grad student.
    Also, farther away in Jacksonville, J B Scott at UNF.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Looked like a statement to me. I don't see it as a question. It looked like advice to the OP. I've played professionally for 42 years in every genre of music. I've never played with a trumpet player who switched in the middle of a piece. I use the mpc/horn/tool for the job. I will switch from trumpet to flugel or Bb to C, D, Eb or picc as the music dictates but never for range. It's for the sound.

For the OP, You're not going to get that high B in a week. Range is a result of overall development in playing. If you really want to develop get a GOOD TRUMPET teacher. One with a record of sucess in developing their students.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    I should have put a question mark. I used the word "maybe," meaning it as a question. Sorry for the confusion.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's OK GPhil not a problem.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi GPHIL,
    A mouthpiece I discovered some years ago that's great for the upper register is the Asymmetric. You can play in the stratosphere till the cows come home with this piece. However, for me(a weakness on my part I'm sure), I couldn't get the hang of using it in the lower register. A very interesting mouthpiece and a quick way to get up in the high register quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.