Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Turns out the guy who patented the Asymmetric mouthpiece (John Lynch) is from my hometown.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no mouthpiece that enhances the upper register. There are mouthpieces that give us more of a lead sound (brighter) or "classical" sound medium brilliance, or dull sound that some call "dark". The range is the same on all of them.

The right tool is the one that stays out of the way. That assumes that YOUR face is up to the job. I have said it before, slicks on a Geo will not improve its quarter mile time - even more so if the driver has NO EXPERIENCE in driving fast.

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Excellent advice! That's just the kind of specific advice a beginner like me needs. I've read others suggest getting a top teacher, etc. Not all of us can afford a bottom-tier teacher let alone a top teacher, so your post really helps!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    There is no mouthpiece that enhances the upper register.
    ---------
    Wrong. The Asymmetric does.
    I own one and if anyone wants to play in the upper register, the sucker works. As I said before, my problem is that I can't use it and get a good sound in the "meat & potatoes" register with it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I read the ITG article about William Vacchiano a few years ago. Apparently, he would switch mouthpieces all the time during a concert, depending on what was next.

6. David-F

David-F Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2008
    Woodstock, GA
    I also use an Asymmetric mouthpiece I don't know if I can truly say I was able to hit higher notes but it did enhance what I was able to play and it did help with endurance. I use one and have been for many years now because I love the sound I get with from G above the staff to C above high C. It has a fuller and more cutting sound then any shallow cup mouthpiece I have tried. You can play low with it also I use it all the time of which most of it is in a praise band at church, the trick is to piviot the bell(horn) up as you decend. It's amazing just how good of a sound you can get from it, better than most of the other players on their Bach 7C, The other thing to remember is that for many people it takes time to learn to play this mouthpiece and you also have to use more bottom lip than top.

7. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Im thinking I cant trust ROWUK...
    ROWUK.. Thanks for making me feel so welcome here...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I wish that those that think that mouthpieces are the solution would put their opinions into perspective. Markie and Bill Vacchiano have something in common- they didn't NEED the mouthpiece to solve the problem.

The mouthpiece will NOT help players without the chops for them anyway - and those are the two who brought the subject up.

If you have earned real chops, you can do a lot of things that others can not.

As far as making anybody feel welcome, if agreeing to BS is the requirement, I guess that I will NEVER qualify.

Hardware does not solve software problems, period.

9. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Bad or ill fitting hardware can create software problems. Also, a superior quality piece can lead to software improvements. When I started using a Prana mouthpiece my range was initially unchanged, but after a few months it increased significantly. That increase carries across all my horns and even my old mouthpieces. The Prana piece changed the software for the better.

10. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    ROWUK
    With all rudeness aside, if you actually believe what your shoveling, then why don't you do a performance with a $50 horn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.