Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Folks,

Hardware may help you achieve fine tuning once you've built a good foundation...but a weak embouchure isn't going to magically become a strong one with a different mouthpiece.

Could a change in mouthpiece bring the OP up to the B they're looking for? Possibly....but is that the real goal????

Real help for this person is not to help them skate through to the next level by the skin of their teeth....Real help is to show them how to improve themselves by building a good balanced set of chops.

Brian

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Dammmm.................. Thats not right !!:thumbdown:

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think you're missing the point a bit GPHIL.

In a pince Rowuk likely could do a performance on a $50 beater horn...because he has the chops and skill to do so. He'd sound even better on more finely tuned equipment like a Monette, but he's earned the chops and has the skill to deal with an inferior tool.

If equipment was the answer then everyone would own "the" mouthpiece and "the" trumpet.

I agree with those who are recommending against a different mouthpiece as the answer here. There's something more fundamental wrong with what the OP is doing (or he just hasn't been playing long enough) if he's having difficulty with G, A, and B below high C. That's not even the "stratosphere" or the "high" range that specialty mouthpieces were designed for...

4. kneelknurd

kneelknurd New Friend

Sep 10, 2009
    Tifton, GA
    I used to whistle (loudly) extreme high notes in marching band...fooled some of the people some of the time!!

5. GPHIL

GPHIL New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    I understand the achieving the chops. But ROWUK could NOT achieve a quality performance with a $50 horn (Again, proper tool for the proper job...applies HERE!). The OP is having a problem with his upper registry. My intial question (which was mistaken as advice) was would changing his mounthpiece enhance his upper registry.
    My contention is if the OP has the proper (quality) equipment, the OP would achieve the goal (but not in that time frame). The OP states that " the G and A sounds like torture..." If the OP would use a mouthpiece that enhances the upper registry (i.e. Assymmetric mpc), his G and A would sound better... giving him more confidence, more incentive to pursue the B. The way I read the OP, he seems fustrated, which can lead to unproductive things such as: a mental block; unmotivation to continue with his playing.

If equipment wasn't a big part of the answer, everyone would have "the" $50 horn! and not the mega dollar horns everyone here has....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    No one plays any notes outside their normal range in two weeks. Even if you get lucky and "hit" the note you are striving for somehow, it will not sound good.

In my view, to achieve good, relaxed, in tune sound, and to be able to play with confidence in all situations, you need at least a third or more - and more likely maybe at least a fifth - above the note you want to play if you want to own that note, and be able to depend on playing it with confidence and good sound in an under pressure, performance situation. I do not see a player's performance range as including the absolute highest note a player has ever "hit." Notice I say "hit" - not "played".

You range is not the highest note you have ever got lucky and squeaked out...your range is the notes you can play with confidence and with good sound any time and under any conditions, regardless of stress, etc. Your range is the notes you "own", and expanding that range to "own" notes that are not already "owned" does not happen in two weeks or less.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone here...but I think at times a realistic view would be beneficial.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd say that any trumpet player who is experienced and who is well above average can make a $50 horn sound good (assuming it's in decent mechanical condition). It's a lot more work to make cheap/problematic horns sound good, but it can be done by someone who can really play. The reason to buy better, more expensive equipment is to make what you can already do, easier.

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Lets dissect this a bit......The OP says that their "G and A sound Tortured, and forget the B"

This tells me that this person is early on in the development of their embouchure....Likely a beginner or possibly a comeback player that still has a hill to climb.

Definitely not someone that you would recommend chase mouthpieces for improvement.

If you really want to help them.....Show them how to put in their time and build up their chops to "earn" those notes.

Nothing was said in the OP about poor hardware. Buescher instruments are fine horns...I have a 37 Aristrocrat Custom Built that was purchased on e-bay that plays very well. Don't believe me? Ask Charlie Melk....He told me that he thought it was a really nice horn when I had him give it a good once over/cleaning etc... right after I bought it.

It's clear that we don't have a hardware issue, but a software issue as Rowuk stated. Not everyone is going to like his delivery, but you really can't really argue with his message.

Brian

9. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Can't play well on cheap instruments? You really want to take that bet gphil?

Check out "Junk Yard Brass" by Nick Drozdoff.

From the album description:
    "It consists of classical to modern brass ensemble works all performed by Nick Drozdoff in his studio. He plays everything from piccolo trumpet down to tguba. Most of the instruments are all junkers purchased in antique and junk shops across the midwest for an average price of $30."

Unless the valves are complete crap, I daresay just about any competent player could lay down a good performance on a cheap horn, especially if they had time to learn it's quirks and adjust to it.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I again submit that you're missing the point. You earn your chops in the practice room. Once you earn them they are yours to use on a Monette or a $50 beater.

I have a cheap pocket trumpet I use for practice every day. I can play up to double C, play exercises, and play music. I've used it at picnics and football games to make "quality' music.

It will never sound as good as my primary horn, but my range and abilities are the same on both.

I believe that your contention is flawed. You make an assumption that his G and A are tortured because of the horn, but if the horn was that bad then everything would be tortured. The OP doesn't have the chops.

I'm all for positive thinking, but putting the OP on a Monette and Asymetric mouthpiece wouldn't help him magically increase his abilities.

If equipment was the answer then we'd all play on the magic horn. I can't be a marathon champion because of the sneakers I wear. I can't be Maynard if I play his horn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.