Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    GPHIL,

I don't mean any disrespect, but I don't believe ROWUK is the problem here. He knows his stuff!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    True story: I am a professional photographer and have a colleague who had a big corporate shoot in a different city. His Nikons were lost by the airline and he was on location with an Art Director, photo assistants, plane tickets and hotels paid for, and no cameras.

Except, he had a point-and-shoot camera. He had previously been supplied with the shoot brief and knew the shots, so he told the AD "let's do it." He made some adjustments to shoot within the limits of the camera, but the compositions were right, the lighting was right, the people had great expressions … all manifestations of his skills as a photographer. Those photographs ended up in the annual report and everyone was happy.

No photographer would deliberately shoot a job like that with a point-and-shoot, but when under the gun, a great photographer can deliver when almost no one else could even if they had the best photography equipment in the world.

There are point-and-shoot cameras and Nikon pro cameras, and there are $50 trumpets and $10,000 trumpets. But there is no magic camera and there is no magic mouthpiece.

3. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    At least 95% of what comes out of ANY horn is based on the player.

Having been playing trumpet since 1962, I have come to the conclusion that here is an excessive preoccupation with equipment nowadays. I have tended to see that this preoccupation is not generally found as much among the ranks of the top professionals for whom minor equipment nuances might actually make some difference.

Rather, it seems to be found more so on Internet forums, in school band rooms, and in places where it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I am pretty well convinced that the Internet has given birth to much of the equipment - mania that exists nowadays. Prior to that time, no one had the means to carry on all the discussions, nor gave birth to the idea that there was anything wrong with the equipment they were using - which in most cases, there wasn't. Generally, the problems that trumpet players had were explained as lack of skills, insufficient proper practice, or bad habits; not insufficient equipment.

Everyone knows that playing any kind of musical instrument with skill and competence takes years of training and practice, and trumpet is, in my opinion, one of the more difficult instruments on which to acquire a high degree of proficiency and master. Range is usually one of the more difficult and time consuming aspects of those skills. It isn't like microwave cooking...it's more like becoming a world class chef...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Schwab likes this.
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Possibly because he has done the work and is in a position, physically, financially, and with maturity on his side, to choose not to.

Some of us have yet to realise the advantage of the hard yards in our music, but also choose to spend our own discretionary income on quality equipment direct from the manufacturer rather than the pot-luck of eBay etc - it doesn't mean there are not cheap hardware options, if we choose, but none of that will compensate for lack of embouchure due to laziness or lack of opportunity to practice.

I guess I could pose a similar question of those who drive expensive cars - why don't you just ride a bicycle? Or symphony players - why don't you just play "Chopsticks"? Or chefs - why don't you just cook hamburgers? The answer is ........ because ............... (it's a simple school yard answer isn't't?) :cool:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I have no doubt that rowuk could do a great job on a 50 dollar horn. Hand a Monette to a beginner and ask for the same performance. Gee whiz, folk, trying for a B above the staff in one or two weeks is like insisting on a sub four-minute mile from a guy who has never run. It takes time, coaching and loads of work to get there.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    DaveH sez:
    At least 95% of what comes out of ANY horn is based on the player.
    ------------
    Wow, ain't that the truth. I think this is the point rowuk is trying to drive home.
    I just did a clinic on trumpet and one of the things I did was to put the trumpet on the stage and tell it to "play!"
    I then explained to the class that:
    "When I play a trumpet, it isn't the horn singing, its me singing through the horn.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    Markie and Bill Vacchiano have something in common- they didn't NEED the mouthpiece to solve the problem.
    -----------
    Damned, rowuk's right.
    I already had the range BEFORE I bought the Asymmetric mouthpiece.
    I bought the Asymmetric mouthpiece because a had a few extra dollars and the design looked so unusual and I just had to try it. I stand by my claim that it sure does scream but rowuk's right, I could scream before the mouthpiece. And what happened to the Asymmetric? It sets comfortablly in my Bach mouthpiece case with at least a dozen others that I let students experiment on. As for me, I went back to my 10 1/2 C which I've used since the 1970's.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As a matter of fact, I do have a cheap chinese pocket trumpet that I use on stage from time to time. I have other horns that are much more fun and easier to play however. My range is identical on any of them. The evenness of sound, available colors, intonation, blow is superior on the better instruments. I use different mouthpieces depending on what I am playing. If I am playing lead, I use a shallower mouthpiece for a brighter sound. For symphony work, I use a deep mouthpiece for the rich sound that fits the orchestra better. I have no additional notes.

I am shoveling nothing. The truth is very simple. If your chops are well developed, you have a lot of options. If not, switching mouthpieces to get a couple of high notes is a waste of time. It simply doesn't work. I have been playing for over 40 years and teaching for over 30. I have the statistical evidence when what works.

If you want to buy another mouthpiece, I have no interest in stopping you. The results have already been commented. Good luck.

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    If anything is being "shoveled" here, it's the truth and the way it is...plain and simple.

I'll second it based on my own years of experience which have shown the exact same results.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "When I play a trumpet, it isn't the horn singing, its me singing through the horn.(MARKIE)

If every beginning player could grasp this concept and realize they make the sound and not the equipment, they could focus on what is important and that is PRACTICE AND NOT EQUIPMENT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.