Help! I need to hit B above the staff in 2 wks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horatiodante, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Not too shabby. Does she help increase your range? :lol:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're welcome. Keep practicing!:thumbsup:

3. David-F

David-F Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2008
    Woodstock, GA
    My comments about the Asymmetric mouthpiece was done more in responce to the statement that no mouthpiece will help someone play higher. Now I agree that there is no one mouthpiece that will help someone play higher I do think that some people will play better on some over others 34 years ago when I was marching in a Drum and Bugle Corps I played on a 6A4A today I don't think I could do much with it. I'm a comeback player and when I started playing again I used a Bach 3C I found the larger mouthpiece seem to work better for me over the much smaller 6A4A. That's one of the things I like about the Asymmetric mouthpiece I think I remember reading that it's overal size is more like a 1 1/2 Bach. And the reduiced diameter lower helps support the lower lip which is real help full when I start to tire.
    I love to play the trumpet but between work and family I just don't have the time I would like to have to play so when I find something that help me to be able play at a higher level for longer I will use it, add into it the great sound it helps me get it's a done deal.
    I would never tell anyone you need a different mouthpiece to play higher,but I have no problem letting someone try some of my old mouthpieces to see if there is one that works better for them, but I will also let them know that you also have to give it time to see if it really is helping the way they want or not.
    As for being able to hit a B above the staff in two weeks I agree with many of the post that he needs to get a good instructor to see if he is doing things correctly or not. I have no idea how long he has been playing or if he has had any instruction or not. A mouthpiece change at this time would most likely be of little help and might move things in the wrong direction.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    There is a grain of truth to the idea that a different mouth piece will give better chops. Starting out I got a Bach 11DW, the marketing brochure said "brilliant high notes for players with weaker embrochures". With all the meat on the rim and the shallow cup I found I could squeeze of some notes you know by moving the lips to the edge then pinching the top lip, and narrowing the air stream with my tongue in the top of my mouth, and after a while though it was kind of annoying, I felt like Forest Gump with his leg braces on...

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Toby,
    Try this:
    There's an easiliy downloaded picture of Megan Fox on a motorcycle which comes from the movie Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen,
    OK, just trust me, print out a good copy of this photo and when you can't get your head in the right groove to play (and you know what I mean, everybodys been there), look at the picture and play to her. I'll bet you rowuk's horn(void his permission) that you'll be better trumpet player by holiday season. Think about it. How can you be more on stage and in the moment than when you're playing to a beautiful woman?
    Let me know around Xmas if this "techique" is a 100% better at getting better than any mouthpiece discussion anywhere.

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    If she happens to play flute with you that's pretty motivating.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Having "been there, done that" with equipment, if you sound bad on an Ambassador, buying a Monette will not make you sound better. The same is true with mouthpieces (gots lots). Reading the OP's original comments I can read between the lines and surmise that like all of us have done at one time or another, the proper preparation has not been done for the piece that needs to be played. My advice, if followed, MIGHT, MAYBE, HOPEFULLY could get him to his goal (hope it does). Your contention about the Assymetric enhancing his upper register is in my opinion wrong. All it would do is hide the fact that he currently has a weak embouchure (lower lip). Spend an hour on the Internet looking for "range enhancers" or an hour practicing.Call me "old school" but practicing for an hour will pay bigger dividends AND save you the cost (and eventual disappointment) of the latest fad equipment.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Hmm. I'll ask my wife if that's okayROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL!
    I don't know rowuk, what kind of horn does he play?
    As an aside,my dad gave me his old Martin Committee Deluxe (THANKS DAD !!!! :thumbsup:), any way I can make it sound darker and smoother than Miles ;) ?

9. horatiodante

horatiodante New Friend

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Whoah!!! Guys and gals...I ignited a firestorm, I'm sorry

I am a comeback player. I am very watchful of mouthpiece pressure. My chops are underdeveloped.

I have been working on slurring and I know the best sounding note will come through the horn when my chops are able to slur through the notes without pressure (I did the pressure thing in high school - but as an adult, I want to play).

I can force the notes if I cram the cornet in my face, but I'm not interested in that.

I believe I used the wrong words in my original post. I am looking for input on increasing my range. I know there are no quick fixes for range. What I initially wrote (hitting a B in 2 weeks) is unrealistic. I wanted to read suggestions and try a few things.

My hardware is ok and a mouthpiece change is out of the question. My current mpc is a Bach 6B and I am very comfortable with it.

Thank you to everyone who provided positive support and suggestions and to those who provided reality checks.

I have the name and number of the best trumpet teacher in town. I'm calling him tomorrow.

Btw, I'm a chick :D and I think a nice picture of Jeffrey Donovan on my music stand will definitely help me sing through my horn.

One final note, I am the soon-to-be proud owner of a King Legend 2220 Cornet!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone.

Brandi A.K.A. horatiodante (horatio, from Horatio Hornblower books; dante, from Dante's Inferno) ;-)

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rowuk's quality performance is evident in that he allows posters to trumpet their ignorance while systematically abusing him, a site Moderator - and one who has only been responding in a manner which IF YOU WOULD LISTEN might actually help you advance. Otherwise you will drown in the obvious BS.

My advice - learn to talk through a snorkel. :evil:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.