Help identifying old conn trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by budd, Apr 25, 2010.

1. budd

budd New Friend

Apr 24, 2010
    I recently purchased an old trumpet at a thrift store for $100. Based on the information I've gathered on here, the inscriptions, and by looking up the serial number (378141 , C.G.Conn LTD, USA, Elkhart IND), I surmise that it is a 1948 Conn with a Coprion bell. Was wondering if anyone could help me with the model name or perhaps the "12b, 22b" stuff I'm not sure about. This was an impulse buy, it is very tarnished but the valves seem brand new and when i cleaned it out the inside didn't have any build up just greenness.

Would this be a sufficient trumpet to a beginner like myself, and was $100 too much to pay for this old tarnished trumpet, or is it a possible diamond in the rough? Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated as I'm excited to start blowing my brains out on this thing.

2. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Welcome to TM and congrats on the new old horn. If it has a Coprion bell it is not a 22B as they were either brass or silver plated brass. The 12B is just a 22B with the coprion bell. Both the 22B and 12B horns are Pro level horns of the era and no longer made. They both are desirable horns. The serial number and date make sense but you need to give us some more information and pictures are always preferred. The bore information would help. Many vintage but not all Conn horns have the model number stamped on the leadpipe where the mouthpiece fits in.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. budd

budd New Friend

Apr 24, 2010
    heres a couple of crappy webcam pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no model number on lead or anywhere else

edit: not sure why these pics arent showing up i hosted them and did '[​IMG]', any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The best place to find good information on Conn models is the Conn Loyalist:

The Conn Loyalist

If it's a 12B, and in decent condition, it's worth a good bit more than $100. If it's a Director, maybe, maybe not, depending on condition.

The easy way to post photos here is to use a service like photobucket.com - it's even free for small amounts stored, inexpensive for unlimited storage. Upload the pics there, then copy the IMG link to paste into a post here. They're not the only game in town, but certainly one of the better-known.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    The uploader here doesn't work. Best thing to do is put photos on a site like photobucket, Flickr, etc and transfer them over here.

6. budd

budd New Friend

Apr 24, 2010
    http://img710.imageshack.us/i/snapshotofme3.jpg

Imageshack - snapshotofme41h.jpg - Uploaded by forvat

sry for bad quality no digi cam. but frrom the looks of the 12b on that link you gave, it looks like the same trumpet.

so now that i know its a 1948 12b coprion, can anyone school me a bit on that. Like was it a quality piece for its time or just a more run of the mill beginners instrument. i dont plan on selling it and am eager to start learning but was wondering possible value in fair condition. and what might i need to do to get this thing ready?

much appreciated- budd

7. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
  8. budd

budd New Friend

Apr 24, 2010
    Sorry, I'm a little slow...lol!

But seriously thanks guys I actually found the 1 2 B on the lead pipe so I'm positive and the serial number dates to '48, so from what I've researched if everything is in working order I'd say a decent buy for $100. I'm gonna take it to the local music shop on Tuesday to see what they can do, I'll post back with updates and better pics. THanks again, much appreciated!

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Glad to help. Good buy indeed. Please keep us posted.:-)