Help in restrenghtening lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHSTrumpet, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    This is what I am doing...

BUT DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!

I have an old bugle that I "practice" on, to and from work.

BUT, DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!

I have made great progress in the last few weeks, but again...

DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rowuk not feeling like practicing... is like a physician not feeling like going into the room to talk to the patient. I'm thinking the days of NOT practicing are few and far betweein for that trumpet master from which I quote.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You could
    Pick up the Vizzuttii Method Book 1 .. he has a warm up plan in the beginning and then do one exercise out of each section a week .. ie lip slurs, technical studies, double tonguing ...
    It has it all
    or option 2
    Pick up an Arban's book and play 1 exercise a week out of each section.
    also
    Find a trumpet solo you like .. possibly something with a play along cd ... and work on one a week..
    use a metronome .. rest as much as you practice.

4. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Why is it that no one has pointed out that you only took a week off? There is no appreciable muscle strength loss in one week. The problem is elsewhere. Comments?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No practice for a week makes one weak! I can't do that and be at my best. Endurance seems to be the issue.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If all these things are true:
    1. He has really been practicing consistently all year long.
    2. Just now only taken two weeks off.
    3. Has a month to get back into shape.

I think he will be fine.
    Just start slow the first few days and ease back into your normal routine.
    Do your fundamental stuff: Long tones, flexibilities (irons, colin), scales then go back to whatever you usually do.
    In 2 weeks you will be back to normal.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Read all of his posts and it paints a picture of a high school kid with a desire to be a better player, but who doesn't know how to practice, and probably doesn't practice much at all.

Any of the suggestions in this thread will help, but it will take a level of commitment and discipline from the OP to actually start doing something to get better.

Random buzzing into the horn for 5 minutes every few days won't do anything. It's summer, so he has the opportunity right now to start playing for a few hours every single day. That won't make him Doc Severinsen by the time school rolls around in September, but it will definitely make him significantly better than his is now.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I do invest a lot of time in tunes!

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

No need to panic.Good register and endurance are LEARNED abilities. Much like riding a bicycle. One you have the basic skills to prevent your chops from burning out? You will have fine endurance (compared to the next guy) even after taking a week off the horn. You might be better off if you had practiced in the interim but the basics will still be there.

So my guess is that you are not cushioning the mouthpiece with your chops. ie making a thicker bridge of lip flesh against the mouthpiece.

Next? Consider some experimentation with a slightly shallower mouthpiece cup AND a well rounded inner rim edge. Marcinkiewicz is good for these.