Help! Is there an ethnomusicologist in the house?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, Aug 27, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
  2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bass oboe

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    All oboes are base!

-cw-

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    ah ha!!! devil horn model 666. :evil:

seriously, i, too, think it is a bass oboe. i've seen pix before, but never in person. isn't it kin to the heckelphone?

dj

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, bass oboe is smaller. If you want to hear one, there are a few movements of the planets playing fast and slow licks. The best example is in Saturn, Bringer of Old Age.

Aside from that, I don't know what piece you'd have to hear to hear the heckelphone off the top of my head.

Ooh, that would hurt. Pointy little stick on the bottom, you know.

Wishing my syntax didn't suck,

ML

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Wilmer- Thanks! At first my wife thought you were joking...it IS a funny name.

Thanks for the chuckle, Manny!

From that same site Wilmer directed me to, here is some other rep (copied and pasted):

There are solo parts written for Heckelphone in Richard Strauss's Salome, and Elektra, as well as his Alpensymphonie and Josefslegende. Hindemith's Op. 47 Trio for Viola, Heckelphone and Piano is one of the best works composed for the instrument (or for viola, for that matter). Other works with Heckelphone parts include: Dollar Symphony in C Minor by Kurt Atterberg, Symphony No. 1 by A. Bax; "Fennimore and Gerda", "Paris", and the Dance Rhapsody by F. Delius; "The Planets" by G. Holst; "Sonnengeist" by R. Klose; 3rd Symphony in F by Franz Moser; "Moloch" and "Mona Lisa" by Max Schillings; the London Symphony by W. Vaughan; and the Symphony No. 3 by F. Weingartner. For the full list, see Peter Hurd's Heckelphone/bass oboe Repertoire

On that page are also some sound samples as well, including some Paul Winter, a sample of it playing the Promenade from Pictures (now THAT's just wrong!), etc. Great info!

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Oh.. so, does that mean we're wrong about them being two different instruments? Shoot, terribly sorry for misinformation, in that case!

ML

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- According to the info on the site, bass oboe and Hecklephone are in fact 2 different instruments. No misinformation there.

The web site says:
    "The Heckelphone is broader and more robust than the bass oboe, which tends to sound thinner and more reedy by comparison. Some commentators have opined that even where composers have indicated the bass oboe, the Heckelphone was actually intended. Some of the Repertoire selections here are indicated as "bass oboe": there is some disagreement as to the composer's actual intentions..."

I should have included the last phrase in my copy. Sorry for that.

There is also a piccolo Hecklephone, in F, and an octave higher than English horn.

Pretty rare, I would think, that that would be needed.

10. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    I know a fellow in Seattle area that owns several heckelphones . How's that for the ultimate in geekiness? Worse than most trumpet players.