Help me identify a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Larrabee, Oct 13, 2007.

1. John Larrabee

John Larrabee New Friend

Oct 13, 2007
    In 1956, my parents bought me a cornet. It looks more like a small trumpet. I still have it. The engraving on the bell is USA, with the S in the middle larger in size than the U or A. I have searched on the web, but I have not found info on the manufacturer. The only other marking on the instrument is the serial number on the valve body--169984. Does anyone have an idea regarding the manufacturer or where I might find the info?

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    There were a lot of cornets that looked like smaller trumpets. Conn made a number of models over the years. I would look at all the cornet listings on Horn-u-copia web site under the different manufacturers threads. Most have a section of photos. Maybe you can identify from that way. There are also many photos on the Connloyalist site. It may well be a stencil horn, made for a retailer by any number of major manufacturers. Good Luck

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Most likely a stencil horn, and I agree with the above, Conn probably made it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Reynolds made some stencil horns as well.