Help Me March The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 25, 2015.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    https://www.gofundme.com/buf293bc

My name is Kentaro Mori, and I was recently offered a contract to march with The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, one of the oldest drum and bugle corps in the United States and a 10-time DCI World Champion. This has been a long time dream of mine ever since seeing their show in 2011. I will be spending the summer rehearsing 12 hours a day, traveling across the country, and performing at a total of 33 shows. Through this experience, I hope to grow as a person and foster lifelong friendships.

However, this life-changing activity comes at a huge price of $3600, which goes toward instruction, instruments, uniforms, food, gas, etc. This fee is especially difficult to pay while being an international student at a private college (limited job opportunities and federal aid). This is why I am asking for your help. Any amount of contribution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kentaro Mori

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I have 3 kids, a mortgage, a car note, a job that works me to death. My house is in constant need of maintaining as are the vehicles that get my wife, kids and myself back and fourth to work, school, dance class for my daughter, tae kuan do for my oldest son and an endless pile of diapers. My fees just to live the American dream far outweigh a little $3600 fun fund because come on it will be a blast! How's about sell a horn!

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Wow, we have heard about the life of Dennis.....
    Off the topic, I am gonna sell my horn soon when I get back to NZ.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Dude... You have had this goal since 2011, about 4 years. You would have known then that it was going to cost money, so why haven't you saved up for it? $3600 isn't alot of dough especially across a couple years.
    $25 a week for 3 years. Give you a spare 12 months to skip a savings payment now and then. Plus, you are in international student at a private college? That has to have cost something... someone has money somewhere.

How much did your cell phone cost? How much is your phone data plan payment? You bleed $25 a week on starbucks and eating in restaurants. How about trying the DCI diet... ramen noodles and cold cereal, stay out of restaurants unless you are washing dishes there. You can find some cash side jobs that don't care about your immigration status as long as you are willing to work. Learning to live within your means and how to save money consistently would be a lesson that is far more valuable for the rest of your life than prancing around a football field in a glitter suit for a summer. I don't mean that DCI isn't a great thing, just that these "gofundme" requests for stuff you should do on your own (I need a new horn... I want to go to summer camp... I want to march DCI... etc) are becoming more and more common. You want the price, but want someone else to pay the bill so you don't have to do the work to get it. </crank old guy rant>

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Hey guys, there's no need to beat up on the guy or to look for ways of justifying turning him down.
    IMO, the answer's simple. I would think that this request it out of line with forum policies and just leave it at that.

6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    As as alum from the Garfield Cadets days, I'm inclined to help, but not through GFM where there's no accountability for the funds. A person could just walk with the cash and the donor has no recourse.

I throw a few hundred bucks a year at the corps, and my employer matches it plus I get a tax deduction. Anyone so inclined can sponsor a Cadet's fees directly with the organization, or leave it to the corps which Cadet in need gets the help. I have to believe just about any corps in the country is set up to do this as well. Something to think about the next time you find yourself griping about today's worthless kids who spend all their time on their phones or video games or making trouble.

FHNSAB

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I have already earned most of the money myself. I only started this campaign because I saw many of my peers do it with success. I am not forcing any of you to pay, so please do not criticize me or make unfair assumptions about how I live. If you do not wish to contribute, please just walk away. Perhaps, it was a mistake to post here. I have been on this forum long enough to know that most of you are not fans of drum corps or marching band.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I loved marching band! But I love more, hard work and self reliance! I guess it's called pride. You know who has marching bands? Really good ones? The military! You don't have to be an American citizen to join in the US. And I'm sure whatever country your from has a military with a band. To boot they pay you to be in them

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Oh for Pete's sake. The guy said he's worked for most of the money already. Doesn't sound like much of a slacker. Regarding the military, that's taking on a heck of a lot more than just marching. Plus the marching is ceremonial, not anything like corps bands do (except for the Marine Band Drum & Bugle Corps).

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    You are right! I'm just very biased about people asking for hand outs. I just believe you work for everything you have or do without. Old school I guess. But your right. You are a cool cat!