Help me, Olds nuts (please)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Amateur Hour, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Amateur Hour

Amateur Hour New Friend

Jun 16, 2016
    Mukilteo, Wa
    721C5B96-C86B-4E8C-B949-1C552C3F3C9C.jpeg Just bought a French Model and I need a top cap. Like the ones on the end.
    Can anyone help? Can you PM me? Or just reply here.
    Thanks for anything!

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Good luck!

3. Amateur Hour

Amateur Hour New Friend

Jun 16, 2016
    Mukilteo, Wa
    Yeah, thanks! Ha!
    I should specify: any cap that is a tiny bit shorter than the substitute cap in the middle would work. I’ve seen many different styles of knurling here and there...

4. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Maybe A.N.A. Mendez can help you. Resident olds expert, has some parts. He had bottom caps for my 1940 Olds Super Recording.

Kevin

Amateur Hour likes this.
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, try A.N.A. Mendez. Bet he will have something.

Amateur Hour likes this.
  6. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    If all Olds trumpets from the 1930s have the same rope style outer threaded caps then there should be some techs who can fabricate new ones.
    Maybe try Josh Landress?

J. Jericho and Amateur Hour like this.
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I got one, but I still need it - I would check Ebay for an Olds, maybe even someone has "just parts"

Amateur Hour likes this.
  8. Amateur Hour

Amateur Hour New Friend

Jun 16, 2016
    Mukilteo, Wa
    thanks everyone for your replies! I posted two weeks ago then got busy. :roll: that's my excuse anyway for not replying...

Wow. What a tease. ROFL

I think I'll be contacting Mr. A.N.A. Mendez for starters. After looking over the half dozen or so Olds I have, it's interesting to note that though they all have the same threads, there is a lot of variance in cap height. Small variances to be sure, but still...

I'll get the French Model back from my repair guy tomorrow. Cleaning, felts and corks and stuff, etc. There was a patch on the lead pipe. The Tech pulled the tuning slide, filled the pipe with water and blew...a small stream of water shot out of another hole in pipe. He patched that, tested it again, and water erupted from yet another hole. :shock: That one got a solder-blob. The joys of early 30's horns. I want to get Steve Winans (Dr Valve) input for a replacement. But that's a couple months away...

Thanks again for taking the time! :play::play::play:

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I MAY have one..... I'll look.

Amateur Hour likes this.
  10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    No, I have one like that middle one. Chuck at brass lab could make one for you.

Amateur Hour likes this.