Help me out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hockeyman1040, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Hockeyman1040

Hockeyman1040 New Friend

Feb 23, 2013
    This will take some explaining, so bear with me.

I have a mildly serious underbite, which causes me to play trumpet with an upstream. However, my glasses slide down my nose and my upstream makes it so I can't see above my bell. This means I have to look down at my music, but to do this, I have to tilt my head down slightly. The result is a guy with his head pointed down and the trumpet straight out towards whatever's in front of me. I think my upstream is a little serious, because I can play better with the trumpet at a 35 degree angle to the ground then I can at 0 degrees. Any way to fix this so I can see my music in front of me and not have to look down to get the trumpet to be straight?

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Honestly...you can bend the mouthpiece. That is what I would recommend.

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    And get your glasses adjusted. Mine slide down my nose too so I go every 3 months or so to get them tightened. If you go where you got the glasses they don't charge for this.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I know a few guys who play bent mouthpieces - amongst them Gabriel Keogh of the Dani Felber Big Band. Wonderful professional - the bend hasn't driven him round the bend.
    But one piece of warning: DON'T DO IT YOURSELF! Have a trained tech do it - they know how. Otherwise you end up with a broken mpc.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    How about moving the music to either sides of you? That way, you don't have to look down. I always have my stand to my right. Thats what we did in middle school to create more space and avoid playing into the stand. I'm used to it and I find it most comfortable in that position.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I played for the longest time with my stand to the right side, and why I now prefer it to be on my left side eludes me, but such is the way it is unless I'm playing from my orchestra stand where I read downward under my hands. I think such may be to evade the distracting flutter of my fingers and also closer to reach for a mute left handed.