Help Me w/ Embrochure & Underbite

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CLMS Trumpet Kid, Jul 6, 2012.

1. CLMS Trumpet Kid

CLMS Trumpet Kid New Friend

Dec 29, 2011
    Hello, I am a middle school student transitioning to high school. I have played on trumpet for 3 years now. I use a Bach Strad 37 with a Bach Megatone 3C mouthpiece and I have a little problem before with embrochure.

How to Form a Trumpet Embouchure - Trumpet Tips & Tricks with Charlie Porter - YouTube

Ok, so around 2 min to 5 min on the video he mentions the red part of the lip being soft and the white part (around the lips) being more resilient to the rim of the mouthpiece...so here is my problem:

1. My bottom lip is larger in proportion to my top lip. I place the rim of the mouthpiece on top of the red area on my bottom lip.
    2. The guy in the video has an overbite and I have an underbite. When I smile, my bite is classified as "edge to edge". The means my top teeth and bottom teeth meet at the same place, instead of the "normal" slight overbite over the bottom teeth.
    3. When I play, people say I use more top lip. I look in the mirror and my aperature is in the middle (atleast what I think).
    4. My range when I practice is up to high c (two ledger lines above staff) and on good days I can get up to the high e flat on the haydn concerto's first movement. But after I play, my top lip is fine, but my bottom lip is always chapped. I'm a teenager and as always, am stupid to try stupid things like trying to hit as high as I can without a warm-up and stuff, but I always rest and do warm-downs.

I just wanted to know your thoughts. Whether I should change embrochures or get a bigger mouthpiece (Nooooo!). I'm thinking about switching embrochures, since I can't buzz like normal people and is a testament to my flaw of technique. I can buzz in my mouthpiece when I set it in, but after I take it off and place it back on, without changing anything, I can't buzz the same.

Note: Private lessons for about a year & read up alot about this for past year or two...NEED YOUR HELP

Important Note (maybe :dontknow:): I visited the orthdontist (braces people) of my teeth. They say they can't put braces because my underbite is unpredicatable. Whether it grows or stops, and we may not know in about 3-5 years because I am not fully developed yet.

Thanks guys and I hope you will end this nightmare I have. :play:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You write well and have a good attitude!

I wouldn't undertake any change without the guidance of your private teacher. Follow his advice, or if he isn't sure and thinks it is a good idea, then have him refer you to someone with more expertise. Meanwhile, you are doing fine for someone with 3 years of learning under your belt, so just keep working at it. Don't worry and by all means don't embrace everything you see in the internet, or spend a bunch of time in front of the mirror.

PS - It's embouchure.

3. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    The above information you got from YouTube is not accurate. Here is a resource I put together that goes over several myths about mouthpiece placement and the red of the lips.

Don't worry about your mouthpiece placement if that's where it works for you.

Dave

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It sounds to me like you are above avg with your ability. I would await the orthodontist instructions. No ones anatomy is perfect. It shouldn't stop your improvement. You do need to warm up before going high, as you have noted. Being anxious never helps playing technique.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Speak for yourself, "Big" Boy!

coolerdave likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wilktone says it best. Stay with what feels comfortable and what works for you. The guy on the video, got his degree at Juilliard. I believe Juilliard does NOT have a medical school. If it did, this guy on the video would have failed miserably as HE HAS NO CONCEPT OF LIP PHYSIOLOGY.

OK here is your homework assignment. Find GOOD PUBLISHED MEDICAL literature in refereed journals as to injuries incurred from playing in the red. Then get back with me to discuss. Do NOT change your embouchure until you find this literature. Oh by the way, on your search you will find TONS of literature as to injury of the lip for individuals who "do it right" from this individuals video presentation.

Does this tell you something
    ?

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Middle school player with a stad and playing Haydn. Neat.

Now, I know I may get bashed for this....but maybe an asymmetric mouthpiece turned upside down is in order?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or maybe an asymmeteric trumpet played sideways may equally do the trick.

Sarcasism Alert

[...consider this your first bash Al... what is the temperture in D.C. getting to your head... I have a friend at GWU that specializes in melting brains... want me to give him a call... in the meanwhile, take 2 salt tabs, and wash this down with a liter Gatorade]

9. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Well, I was serious....

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this worrys me a bit...