Help me with this National Anthem performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kehaulani, Jan 1, 2016.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Terrible conditions in which to play any tune, let alone the SSB. I didn't like it. Cracked notes weren't the problem for me, IT WAS COLD, but as mentioned, the phrasing didn't fit and the embellishments were way over the top for me. I closed it before the "show" was over. I guess he wasn't thinking about the message of the song but how he was going to "interpret" it. At least he didn't grab his crotch (or did he since I closed it)? Only embellishment I enjoy is 8va if played straight. Any other flips, turns, or yodels are self centered IMO. :thumbdown:

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    TobyL - check out his demeanor after he finished playing.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Once you go up 8va, you cannot come back down. Only thing missing was, "I'm going to Disney World". Speechless.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    O! say can you see
    that I'm playing high notes?
    O'er the purists I scoff,
    while my lips are still bleeding.
    Whose bright tone but good nerves
    through my perilous plight
    some cracked notes and bad time,
    some good taste I'm a needing!
    And the words, I don't dare
    cause it's ME standing there,
    as proof in hindsight
    that the morons don't care.
    O! say does that star-spangled ego still wave?
    Is it speech that is free
    or Idiots to save?

It would not have been as bad if he wasn't in uniform......... I thought that there were Department of Military standards. Maybe we also need to test for drugs?

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Sandoval's rendition at the Rose Bowl in '09 is what I'd consider a "benchmark" for a jazz soloist to play the National Anthem. Big and rich tone, minimal embellishments except for the 16va, and superior phrasing.

Granted this guy was playing in demanding conditions, I didn't care for the ghost notes much, and the behaviour at the end was deplorable for a man in uniform.
    That's all I got to say about that.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It was, and I so agree.

The words of a song ARE the written rule. Musical notes are the graphic to the words. When playing the "head" as a purist, I agree to stick to the rules when the words have something to say. Improv is for later and for the National Anthem, there is no later.

7. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Lousy, and bordering on disrespectful, esp. the celebration afterwards....and, he was in uniform!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Two things I learned to do in college were to not to mess with the National Anthem and not to date the drum major's girlfriend.

OK. So I did date the drum major's girlfriend, but the whole purpose of an instrumental performance of sacred music (and national anthems count as such) is to paint the text musically, not like Mr. Bean dropping a firecracker into a paint bucket to renovate his room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MAmWnOznI

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks Rowuk. It is really nice to hear it straight. So many people think it is about them and what they can "do" to the song. And it does get butchered by many to the point where I am thankful the announcer says "Please stand for the playing/singing of our National Anthem." Otherwise, you wouldn't recognize it.

Again, I really appreciated the jazz trumpeter who performed it at the Alabama - Michigan State semifinal game. He did a great job. When they announced him as a jazz trumpeter, I thought, "Oh no, it won't be recognizable." But he played it straight and did a fabulous job. Even the best jazz ad libers' know that sometimes there simply isn't a better way of playing it than from the notes on the page.