Help me with this National Anthem performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kehaulani, Jan 1, 2016.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    My late father, a retired Army officer, would have skinned me alive if I had ever disrespected The National Anthem that way. The Sargent needs to take some lessons from this guy: https://youtu.be/ODu6WWRSk-4 or this guy: https://youtu.be/ODu6WWRSk-4 or these guys: https://youtu.be/Ojw7PwhYQEo

You may not know Freddie Jones, and you may not know that high school trumpet quartet, but you surely know who Alan Rapa is--I'll take their versions any day.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks for all of the comments. So now, all will be revealed. :D

I belong to a forum of mainly military musicians, active or former, and this performance went viral . . . and so did some of the comments. I don't share some of the most vociferous opinions but overall there was practically no one standing up for this guy. I would expect most of the reactions I did, considering that forum's membership, but I wanted to hear from non-military musicians to add balance, which is what you folks provided. I think it's safe to say that the combined opinion of both forums is that this was, at best a miscalculation, and worst, despicable. But in no case were there any "thumbs up"s. Thanks for the feedback and balance.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks. Hopefully someone will go to him quietly on the side and explain why it should have been done differently. We assume that they know, but sometimes you get a surprise at what people that should know, don't know. Guy may be really nice in real life - just doesn't know how to behave in that setting.

If he really knew, then that's another story.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You're right, and fair, Steve. Actually, he got wind of the flaming on that other forum and kind of "snuck in" but it didn't stay under the radar for long. He got the points, although how he'll assimilate them is another story.

Personally, I was a bit disgusted with his hot-dogging at the end of the video, but OTOH that has become par for the course in our current American culture. So I give him a little slack. He's a semi-professional player and was probably just psyched that he did as well as he did and couldn't hold it in. A professional USAF bandsperson (having, frankly, nailed at a higher level) probably would have had the same sense of elation but would have been programmed to maintain a professional demeanor and save the jumping up and down for later.

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I would be shocked if this guy didn't get an earfull from his CO. That was a disgrace.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If he is not a bandsman, testosterone could be a welcome part of his military life. We may never know, but all that read this have been warned.......

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I watch the vid and have read down through the thread, and I have some thoughts about it, based both on my experience as a musician, but also on my experience as a military musician.

On one hand the guy was introduced as a jazz player, so that kind of set the tone for how the SSB might be rendered, and while there are military musicians whose sole purpose it is to play jazz, I've always been of the belief that there are a couple of tunes that shouldn't be messed with when they are being rendered in an official capacity for a ceremony, or prior to an athletic event. One is "Taps" - DO NOT MESS WITH TAPS! Saying that I realize that if one is to do a search for "Echo Taps" on YT, mine is the first one that pops up. However, my recording of Echo Taps was done at home in my home studio, and I don't condone it ever being done for a ceremony, never mind an actual funeral. I recorded that and posted it for the little sister (very much my little sister too) of the guy I used to play Echo Taps with in HS at the annual Memorial Day ceremony - the project was done on a lark and I never would have thought that one day it'd have 50,000+ views. But I digress - we're talking about the Anthem here.

The other tune I don't think should be messed with is the Anthem, at least not when it's being done in an official capacity. This isn't to say that I can't appreciate some embellishments to it - I've always liked Phil Driscoll's treatment of it that he did with the digital delay clear back in the 1980s.

To add to this, the guy was in uniform, and there is a certain decorum that must be adhered to when you are in uniform because at that point you aren't representing yourself - you are representing the service of the uniform you wear. I thought that it was in poor taste in general, but his showboating at the end, and his cavorting all over the place once he'd finished was uncalled for, but that's just this guy's opinion.