help needed very quick!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Feb 20, 2009.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Hi,

Just had a two hour long rehersal playing every piece of music all the way through for my university big band n concert band concert tonight and my lip is gone as the other 1st trumpet player wasnt there. Can anyone quickly give any suggestions as to how i can get them back in 2 hours or am i stuffed?

Thanks

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Drink lots of water. Apply an ice pack if possible. Do loose lip flapping. Don't stress out!

When you play the concert, concentrate as much as possible on keeping your corners firm, and focus more on good breath support.

Remember this next time. Even if the entire band is absent, save your chops for the performance. Take things down an octave when it goes high, so that you won't have to later.

Rest your brain too, while icing.
    veery

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Ice the chops, and to mouth streching drills. The the kissy face, scare look face, and any other weird ones possible.

And remember to use plenty of air in the performance not so much your lips

4. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Thanks guys, i appreciate the advice! :-)

I did take things down the octave where i felt i could but i was told by the conductor we wouldnt play everything and we did, im not amused with him! :evil:

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The short answer is no. The only thing that is really going help is to give your lips time to rest.

The muscles in your lips need time to replace depleted local energy stores, restore lost fluids, clear out metabolic waste products, and repair muscle damage.

There are other measures, that may help a little. These include warming down after a hard session, staying hydrated with non-alcoholic-non-caffeinated liquids, eating a reasonable meal, anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen, ice, and massage.

Best of luck tonight.

Mike

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Try this...

Take a bowl of VERY warm water (but NOT HOT) and pour some sea salt in it. Epsom salt works too, but sea salt is my fave... Mix in the salt and let it dissolve. Then soak your chops in it. You can alternate with the ice water method. This was handed down from THE greatest high note player in the world!!!! It works!!!

Keith Fiala
    Welcome to Brass Player Solution

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    We, as trumpeters, like to use the term "more air" VERY loosely. The fact of the matter is that using more air only makes you louder. So don't do that. Plus, using more air means you need more lip support to keep the vibration, and therefore that would not save your chops. Keeping the airflow constant is what is needed at all times. Also, firm up your corners and keep them firm. Great trumpet players don't usually complain much about their lips after rehearsal/performance because it's usually the corners around their lips that are so dog-gone tired. Just be careful not to smash your face in! When in rehearsal, take the horn off your face as often as possible. This will help with endurance.

8. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Good point... we're really after increasing the "compression" of the air... not the volume of air being blown through the horn. In my book, I included illustrations from Gray's Anatomy for reference. It helped me understand what was supposed to be tight and what was supposed to be flexible.

Keith
    Welcome to Brass Player Solution

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    stay hydrated and flap (loosen) your lips a little.

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Stay away from any other drinks other than oj, fruit juice, and water. Caffine dehydrates the body, so I drains the moisture in the lips. And use DCT instead of most other lip balms.
    This are all good Drum Corp tips we live day to day with.