help not freaking out on easy solo!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rhapsody, Nov 22, 2009.

1. rhapsody

rhapsody New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm in a community band and we are playing Symphonic Gershwin. I have a solo in rhapsody in blue. It's an easy starting note-grace note e to an f in the staff but 75% of the time I blow the entrance. The rest of it easy. I know it's all mental now. Suggestions? (I can play it perfectly in practice.):evil:

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Practice until you can't possibly get it wrong. Practice it in time (count your rests on the way in and then play it or something).

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Practice without the grace note at first. Then, when you feel more comfortable, play the E, but as an eighth note, not a grace note. When your feel good about that, make it a 16th note. Then play it like it's supposed to be.

Okay, after writing all that, I see that you say you can play it when you practice, but I'm just going to leave it there, because I still think it's a good way to practice a grace note entrance! :)

4. rhapsody

rhapsody New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Colorado
    thanks for the suggestions. I should add that the problem I have is that I come in on the e and then drop down to a D instead of an F unless I have unwavering focus.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    it is not mental. It is simply bad preparation. You need a steady diet of this stuff in lessons. You need to be able to memorize easy passages, you need to breath deeply and early enough (after you have practiced breathing, most entrances clean up).

You are only looking at one passage that doesn't work. I am telling you that there is a basic problem with your whole playing that you have not addressed.

No trumpet player without well practiced breathing will even get close to consistent! What you describe is normal for players with breathing deficiencies. IT IS NOT MENTAL!

6. rhapsody

rhapsody New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Colorado
    I have it memorized, and my instructor is working withe me. Tell me more about the breathing issue. The other issue (maybe?) is that most of my earlier experiences in music were on oboe, where when you press a key, you get a specfic note, never a partial.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Instead of me spoon feeding you, use the search feature here. Thousands of posts on "breathing", Circle of Breath", relaxed, body use, yoga, Alexander Technique.

If it is important to you, YOU need to do the research.

I am 53 and have 4 children. When they were at an age where spoonfeeding was needed, I also was required to change their diapers. My experience here at TM is similar. Those not willing to look for answers usually end up with a lot of crap that they cannot get rid of by themselves.

I have the impression that you are not one of these lazy types.

My daughter plays the oboe very well. Breathing is as critical there as with the trumpet.

8. rhapsody

rhapsody New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Colorado
    a little brutal, maybe, but you are right, I am not the lazy type and will certainly do the required research on my own.

9. actionjackson06de

actionjackson06de New Friend

Nov 22, 2009
    University of North Texas
    The reason it's difficult is because you're probably fingering the E open, which would put you jumping from one partial to another. If you finger the E 1-2 then it will make it a much easier motion to the F.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    man up a little. You're the boss, not the trumpet!