Help on choosing a Trumpet for a up and coming player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BdyDad, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BdyDad

BdyDad New Friend

Dec 31, 2010
    Boston,MA
    I am looking for some advise on which bflat trumpet make and model would be good for my son. He has been playing now for 4 years now and his band teacher and trumpet teacher both have told us that he is ready for a better trumpet. He is currently playing a student trumpet and they say he should move up to a pro model. Any advise will be very helpful.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Many will argue about it and give you various other recommendations, but the Bach Stradivarius and Yamaha Xeno are the two most common "first" pro horns for kids in the US.

Buying used is fine, but I'd stay away from "vintage" horns.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yup, the Strad and the Xeno will be the most common answer, and for good reason. They are both pretty good horns, especially for the first step up.
    There are however some other good horns out there that people don't really look at as a first step up....

Before I moved up to my Taylor, I played on the Yamaha Xeno, but there were two horns that I wished I could've gotten instead. The B&S 3178/2-E Challenger II Elaboration, and the Weril Regium II Symphonic. I thought that both of these horns were very nice (especially the B&S).

There are my two cents...you're going to get a lot of different answers for this question!
    Good luck finding a horn for your son! It'll be a fun ride for both of you!
    Kujo

4. BdyDad

BdyDad New Friend

Dec 31, 2010
    Boston,MA
    Thank you both for the advise. I really appreciate it. Any recommendations on any good places (On-Line)to start to look?
    Thanks again

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Woodwind and Brasswind is where I've done almost all of my instrument buying...it's in South Bend Indiana..
    Band Instruments and Musical Instruments | Woodwind & Brasswind

I would definitely advise that he actually tries out the instrument first though. Also, keep looking around! We can all tell you what was good for us or what has been good for a lot of up and coming trumpet players, but the important thing is to find an instrument that fits with the player!

Once again, good luck!

Kujo

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  6. BdyDad

BdyDad New Friend

Dec 31, 2010
    Boston,MA
    Thanks I will give them a look.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are a few other issues to keep in mind. When starting out on a student trumpet, the brand/model does not make much difference (aside from the obvious issues with cheap, imported junk). The capabilities of just about any decent student model exceed those of the player. However, when the player has progressed to the point of needing/wanting a pro horn, then the specific model makes much more of a difference. In fact, that is why there are many different models - because players develop a fine sense of tone, feel, and feedback to their ears that differs between trumpets - even between examples of the same model.

There are many threads here about players trying a dozen different Bach Stradivarius horns until the particular one "finds them" (this is a commonly-used phrase to convey the idea that there is an almost-magical synergy that can be noted when the right player and the right horn come together).

So, the conventional recommendation is to try many different horns over an extended period in order to determine which one fits the best. Even within a particular brand, there are thousands of variations of component combinations to choose from - I think there is a thread here somewhere by Brett Getzen where he claims that their combinations run into the tens of thousands.

Now, from a practical viewpoint, nobody has access to every possible horn - let alone the time to try them all - so there needs to be a balance between theory and practice here but certainly it would be worth trying a few additional models. Again, there are many threads here that cover the obvious choices but if you do a forum search on the following brand names (these are all US-made) you will find some more possibilities:
    Getzen
    Jaeger-Diamond
    Kanstul
    Calicchio
    Orlando
    Cannonball
    Oakes/"Wild Thing" (made by Kanstul)
    Harrelson
    Monette (very expensive)
    Zeus (made by Kanstul)

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Many kids are influenced by what the other kids have. For instance, in high school I had an Olds SUper and the other 4 jazz band players had Bach Strads. I always felt "out of the group" even though I know recognize that my Super played as well or better than their Strads. You might ask the band director (or your son) what are the brand of horns that the top guys at the school play. If they are all on Strads or Yamaha's then you might want to give that serious consideration. If it is a mix, or if you don't think your son will mind, then any of the ones listed above would likely work well. Keep in mind that Strads are proabably the most commonly known pro horn to HS students, followed by the Yamaha. If you are buying a used Strad, I would suggest AVOIDING those made from 2005-2008 during the Bach strike (you can match serial numbers to years if you do a web search). Also, if he goes on to college, most trumpet instructors wil not object to a Strad, or Yamaha.

It is always smart to let someone play a horn before buying. The only problem with most kids is they are not experienced enough to tell good from fair. To them, the horn will likely just seem different. Kids (and some of us adults) are also influenced by how shiny the horn looks.

Best of luck. Let us know what you get. If you are considering something on line, you can post here and ask if anyone sees a problem. By the way -we love giving our opinions.

9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

I keep hearing that. I guess you can't go wrong with a Bach or Yamaha. Kind of like the phrase from 20 years ago - "no one ever got fired for buying IBM"

Within the Stradivarious and Xeno models what is the 'default' suggested choice for high school / college players? For Bach the 180-37 I suppose? But I have no idea about the differences in Xenos or how they are different from Strads.

10. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    also when people suggested the bach strad, there are many different options to choose from. The most common being the Model 180-37. The yamaha xeno is also a fine choice. There are many other fine pro horns, but these are to of the most commonly available and both will serve your son well. I would recommend silver plating for the finish as it will stay nice looking longer than the lacquered finish and for some reason kids seem to think that lacquered horns look too much like student model horns.