Help on High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by celticnacho, Jul 3, 2011.

1. celticnacho

celticnacho New Friend

Jul 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Greetings I am new to this community.

I am a high school freshman trumpet player, and I have been playing since the fifth grade. I have a Yamaha YTR silver trumpet, and a Bach 7c mouthpiece.

I need help on how to maintain a consistent and clear sounds while playing high notes, I was doing some Arban exercises in the 20's, and my high notes just don't sound nice. I do clarke, arban, long tones, and slurs. The highest note I have reached on the trumpet is a double G, but I can never seem to play high notes consistently with a good sound. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

2. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    Hi Define double G is that 4 ledger lines above High C?? Do you have a private teacher?

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What pieces do you play that require those notes?

I've recently been invited into a band to help "counteract" an idiot who continues to randomly
    ramp up some of the 1st chair parts a couple of octaves - yes he can do it, but it doesn't fit
    in a concert band genre and the band director is not getting through. My need is to help
    balance the section and it seems that the other players are gradually getting the message to
    this looney that his meanderings are so far out of the character of the piece that it is obvious
    even to him - it is certainly very annoying to the rest of the band. I repeat my initial question.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    Ted, I hear you...players like that need a talking to...the band director must have a talk with him..and if he does not stop...My opinion, is he would have to go...that kind of blatant display of non sense cannot be tolerated..I know it sounds a bit harsh, but in professional circles, that kind of stuff is not tolerated at ALL.

Again I ask you...Double G above high C correct? If so, I see no need to play higher that that,,,in a HS band....DHC is nice yeah...but wanting to change equipment to play higher the Double G...not sure I would do that...the 7C is a good mpc..as long as you stay with the same diameter, you could try a little shallower mpc...like A Warburton 5M with a 7 or 6 back bore... That is a small change,,,the cup is a little shallower, and the 7 backbore is 1 size smaller that the 7C standard backbore

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing that a couple of years worth of lessons can't solve. Especially to learn the names of the notes. Octaves start with C.

Pressure is the number one range killer followed by a lack of understanding what high notes are good for ad a concept of how they sound. Pressure is defeated by dedicated practice to learn new habits. That involves body use, breathing exercizes and some not so special exercizes like lipslurs and long tones. It is just hours of doing it right that builds what is required. A good teacher and patience is required.

If it were easy, everyone would be playing high (and most due to lack of concept would just be making noise!). There are just too many factors that are individual.

6. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    + 1

7. celticnacho

celticnacho New Friend

Jul 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help, and yes a G above the high C is the note I hit. I couldn't play it normally though, and had to put a lot of pressure on my lips. When I warm up I take my slide out and play a G that is above the low G on the second line. Then I put my slide in and start going from G up the scale to the highest note I can achieve. Than I do slurs and long tones, and than Arban/Clarke. This is what me and my teacher normally do as well, I am currently playing the English Suite which consists of songs like Greensleeves, and I can hit the high notes on that song pretty easily.

What are these breathing exercises rowuk?

8. trumpetpr

trumpetpr New Friend

Oct 22, 2007
    Breathing exercises are of paramount importance in order to conquer the complexity of trumpet playing. Please note that air is the medium that us players use to convert notes into sound and projection. Improper breathing can serve as an obstacle to improve our tone quality and range. My routine always start with a 5L rebreathing bag to make sure my cardiorespiratory system is activated before taking the trumpet. You can read on Jacobs breathing exercises and Vincent Cichowicz. Do not forget air is the medium to give life and progression to range, tone etc. Use more air support and less pressure to conquer your desired range. Air is free!!!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    this link should take you to a website by Keith Fiala,
    YouTube - ‪Trumpet High Notes By Former Maynard Ferguson Player‬‏
    I mean if you want internet help -- this is my best suggestion.
    high notes take time -- like the others above said -- but also less pressure -- anyways Keith has lots of youtube, a website, and you can glean some important info -- IN MY OPINION --- again, think in terms of weeks, months, and perhaps years to get good high range ----and not too mention ----1,000 of hours of play time ((( but that is do--able -- 3 hours a day will yield - over 1100 hours in a year --- but the biggest part is to practice CORRECTLY for that time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This question comes up hundreds of times a year - why? Because it is the natural progression of things.

Just like a baby is wobbly when it learns to walk, there are stages of wobbly trumpet playing.

All of the supposed "help" that you get here will not help unless you address the real problem : you are simply practicing way too little. Success is built on months and years of dedicated practice.

I wouldn't worry about the high range. I would focus on becoming an overall better trumpet player this summer. Grab a hymnbook - there are 700+ tunes. Play them all - soprano and alto parts. There is no cheaper collection that will have more impact on your playing. Try and get HOURS of practice in daily. Then you can EARN the things that you now are just talking about!