Help please

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JoeCJazz, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JoeCJazz

JoeCJazz New Friend

Mar 12, 2005
    Charleston, WV
    Hi, I'm a high school trumpet player with aspirations for going pro. I have a Conn Vintage One sterling bell, but I am looking for a horn with a darker sound and priced in my range (not over $2200). I want to use it for both small combo jazz and concert band, any suggestions?

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Have you looked into a Kanstul ZKT 1500? It has an all copper bell and it produces a big fat dark sound! I love it! I would say that it is the best horn of this type without going to an Eclipse with a Large Copper Bell. It's dark when you want dark, but it also has pop when called needed!

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I love stuff like this... :D

But down to business.

I'm sure you have a pretty good idea to keep the Conn V1 for jazz, etc. However, if you want to take out some of that sterling edge in the V1 sound, and have a more versatile axe, the cheapest route is a heavy, open leadpipe modification. Less than $250 (Depending on the quality work and leadpipe brand you use), and BAM, you'll basically have what you need.

Now, another cheap-man route is to get a pre-1960 Olds Ambassador and soup it up. New leadpipe and overhauling the horn, with maybe a new plating job (24k gold bell for the intimate solo sound...), and some specialized heavy caps from Curry. Less than 800 dollars with the right guy (Not counting the gold, though). VERY good pro horn for around the price of a new intermediate. Also, its cool when someone asks you how much you payed for the horn, and answering the price was less than a grand!

ANOTHER cheap man route, and is something I am right now toying with, is FRANKENHORNING. If you have the patience to look around and keep looking, you can get some AMAZING deals of parts. If creating your own monster trumpet sounds cool to you, PM or email me, and I can really bore you with some details and what my current project is, blah blah blah... :D

NOW, for new horns.

PHAETON - I am about to start testing one tomorrow, so I will have a better idea about how this horn works. I just know this horn has a really good reputation as being a solid performer, and its price is between 1200-1600 dollars.

ZeuS - Again, I have not had the chance to try one of the ZueS's yet. Low price, but the product is high.

Kanstul - I own a 1503, and I love it. You can find them for a pretty good price, and they offer a darker sound even without heavy caps (I believe it has a lot to do with the heavy 3rd valve slide itself).

Van

4. JoeCJazz

JoeCJazz New Friend

Mar 12, 2005
    Charleston, WV
    Thanks alot for the help. What stcman said got me thinking, do I really need a new horn? I think that I'm going to overhaul my current horn and get it plated and get the valves aligned. I bought it used and it has lots of lacquer wear and the valves are giving me some problems. Do you guys know of a good shop that could provide me with these services (at a reasonable price :D )?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Color me crazy, but how about a Conn Vintage one, lacquered, with the red brass bell? A friend of mine once had one of those which was VERY nice and probably very close to what you are looking for in terms of sound.

It was dark, smooth, and surprisingly enough, it was ultra-responsive. A very nice horn. He ended up getting rid of it so that he could get a Lawler, but for the life of me I don't know why because if it had been mine, I would still own it.

Yeah Eric! I'm talking about YOU! :D

6. JoeCJazz

JoeCJazz New Friend

Mar 12, 2005
    Charleston, WV
    Oh, to be specific, I'm looking for a place where I could get a satin silver finish with gold trim and bell. I think that would look nifty and would last longer than the worn away lacquer that's on it now.

7. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Trickg, I agree, the Conn is a great playing horn. The 1BR seems to be the most popular horn in the Vintage One line for us.

You definitely should try out the Kanstul 1500 as well, also very smooth, warm sound!

Ceth Barnett
    Tulsa Band Instruments
    www.tulsaband.com

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ceth, I get the impression that he is looking to move away from the Conn and into a different horn altogether, but I have to tell you, in the last few years, that Conn V1 with the red brass bell (owned by Xenoman - he USED to own a Xeno) stands out in my mind as one of the best horns that I have played, and in that time I have played:

Conn
    Vintage Conn
    Bach
    Schilke
    Lawler
    ZeuS
    Benge
    Vintage Benge
    Wild Thing

Like I said, the response and centering on that horn was fast and dead on. He says that his Lawler is better. If it is, then that Lawler must be one helluva horn because that CV1 was excellent.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I had the pleasure of meeting Wynton before he was "Wynton" and Sergei when he was even a younger player. Wynton played the much hated Bach Strad. Sergei played a Getzen thing......I am not sure if it was a Doc horn or an Eterna. It was probably a Severinsen.
    Nakariakov was about 15 at the time and he played like nothing I had heard from a kid that young. Oh......and his horn was not a very good one. Phil Ruecktenwald and I played it. The horn was only okay.
    Wynton played a Vindabona 72 ML Bach. He played the Bach with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers.

Get a valve job. Get the horn plated. Get busy practicing. You are the ultimate upgrade :cool:
    Wilmer

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wilmer, great post. You know, I was reflecting this morning about some things related to the fact that we just lost Timofei Dokshizer and it called to mind a concert that I attended in the spring of 1990 in Norfolk, Virginia.

I was a student in the basic course at the Armed Forces School of Music at the time and we went to hear a Russian Army band perform a concert at a performance hall in Norfolk. They were very, VERY good. At this point I don't know which Russian Army band it was, but they were a top notch ensemble.

Anyway, after we got back to the Navy Amphibious base in Littlecreek, we found out that this Russian band was going to be staying at Shields hall, right there on the Amphib base with us, so a bunch of us gathered up some stuff (uniform insignia, cigarettes and the like) for trading, and headed over to meet these guys since it was only a block and a half away from our billeting. (I put a bunch of my favorite Maynard onto a cassette and gave it to one of the trumpet players. :D)

When we got there and saw the instruments they were playing, we were stunned - most of them were old, student model type instruments. Ceratinly nothing fancy, yet the music they made.....you see where I'm going with this.

There are going to be horns better suited to one thing or another, there won't ever be a horn or a mouthpiece that is going to make YOU a "better" player - it will only facilitate what is already within you.