Help Please.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Aug 28, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Hi, I'm a new member here and I'm a Freshman in HS this year. This is going to be my third year of playing my trumpet :). I really want to get my higher notes but I find it kind of hard to get there. I have a Blessing Trumpet with a Blessing 7C mouthpiece. I can only play up to E, F, and sometimes with effort the G above the staff. I practice with my neighbor that is the same age as me... he has been playing for only 1 year of trumpet and he can play up to the high C above the staff. Can anyone give me any tips to help improve my embochure ,my endurance, and my range? Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    It sounds like you're pretty keen and on the right track. Here's a few questions to ask yourself.

Do you have a teacher? Is is possible to get one? You may not even need a lesson every week if you don't want to or can't afford it. One evey 2-3 weeks sometimes works well for people(me included).

How often do you practice? If you're serious you should be playing at least 5-6 days a week for 45 minute to an hour(or more). As someone in college who plans to be a professional I practice virtually every day for 1.5-2 hours and try to go longer whenever possible. 3-4+ hours over the day when I can. I take a day off every few weeks only when I can't find time to practice because of conflicts, not by choice. In mid and late high school I practiced every day 60-90 minutes minimum.

Other thoughts. Your trumpet and mouthpiece may be fine and may need an upgrade but a teacher can help you decide this. Try not to change equipment for the sake of changing but don't be afraid to explore other equipment possibilities either.

Finally, your range isn't too bad for someone who has been playing 3 years. We don't know how often you practice so it's tough to really gauge. You could have embouchue problems but, again, no one here can see your face so a teacher would really help you there.

3. TrumpetsAreFun

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Wow, Thanks alot :D . I try to practice at least 1-2 hours everyday... unfortunately, I am a procrastinator, so sometimes I don't get to practicing :(. But I really enjoy playing my trumpet though. :lol: Also, I feel like I'm not using my practice time efficiently enough... one of my bandmates told me to play long tones on my C scale over and over again to help build up my chops. He's a Tuba player though. So I'm not sure how to use my practice time efficiently.
    Oh, do you mean a private teacher? Does my Band Director count?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    AS TP said, you need a one-on-one private teacher. You need advice from somewhere other than the internet. Call up your local symphony orchestra and ask to speak with someone who can tell you who the best private teachers in your area are. You can also call the music department at your local university and ask who the best teachers are. Make a list and make some calls.

Good luck,

ML

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If he's TRUMPET player. A good one.

6. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    One thing I do is plan ahead when I will practice. If I wait untill I have some spare time, it doesn't get done. Just like that room that needs painting. :-( So put together a realistic practice schedule and stick to it. There will be times when you can't practice, just make sure you have a very good reason for not practicing. Ask your band director about finding a teacher. Ask the teacher for a list of students you can contact for recommendations. Tell us what city you live in and we may have some recommendations for a teacher.

7. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    Just as Arnold suggests for bodybuilding, I find my best time to practice is first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, that is not always possible, but when it is it works well.

I actually began morning practice when I was in high school. That way after school and soccer practice I did not have to worry about practicing, but often would.

Just make sure you follow the advice to find a teacher. I was in my second semester at college before I had an actual trumpet teacher, and that really ended up hurting my playing.

8. TrumpetsAreFun

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Actually, my band director also teaches private lessons at Johnny Thompsons, and he plays all brass. But then I don't think I can afford those lessons. Thanks alot for the replies though :). I'll try to find a teacher.

9. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

You sound like me at your age! You are obviously doing something a little wrong and practice will solve the problem . . . once you get a decent teacher to guide you through the correct way to overcome the issue.

For me, that person came into my life in the 10th grade and my future turned into the 1st chair player at my school . . . majoring in music in college and being the solo trumpeter in my Army band for all of my three year enlistment but the first few weeks at the unit.

I've been playing seriously for quite a few years now . . . for I'm 54!

My range at your age was about the same as yours. Now, my reliable "performance" range is the G above Double High C . . . although most written music doesn't require this kind of range. This simply means I can play whatever is thrown in front of me without fatigue or strain, and that's what its all about!

Keep in mind though . . . that these two extra octaves above where you can play now do not come easy, and they do not come fast. It will take a lot of CORRECT conditioning, CORRECT practice . . . under the supervision of a great instructor.

Sure, there are always a few "first chair Johnnies" who somehow did everything right initially but don't know why or how. For the REST of us it takes a lot of work and coaching.

Finding a teacher who truly understands mechanics is going to be key that unlocks your problem. Good luck!!!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner