help please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sauer, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    ok i am in 8th grade, and i am getting a new trumpet this summer, i have a student trumpet right now. but i am above average in range and playing ability, so i am wondering what kind of trumpet to get.

and

whats the highest note ever played?

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    At this time, I reccomend Yamahas to students either the Xeno 8335 or the 6335 Standardweight which ever works best and sounds best. I reccomend them because Yamaha's QC is really good, and if I am not with the student when they get them (or because they have to order it from a catalog, I find in this area I find the stores don't stock a lot of the "proline" horns). If you have to buy a Bach then I would go with the ML-37. I tend to reccomend middle of the road horns for HS students because they can be used in symphonic band, orchestra, brass quintet, jazz band...

Keep the student horn though for marching and pep band.

Hope this helps

Franklin

3. Lost_In_Music13

Lost_In_Music13 New Friend

Mar 20, 2007
    Lost
    Depends on what you want really, you most definatly need to ditch the student trumpet, youre right on that. You might want to get a professional trumpet if you have the money. I dont really know that much about brands though, so maybe someone else with more knowlege will help you out.

Highest note ever played huh? quadruple C? (prolly not even close) I dont know, I'm just a youngster myself.
    what is your range?

Edit: oh, looks like someone more with more knowlege bout brands already replied...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  4. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    my range is about, a quad G, almost a double C (for all you the really high and quiet one)

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Sauer,

You'll become a better trumpet player in 12 months if you spend the money on lessons and practice assiduously than you would if you were to buy a new horn.

Richard

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hi Sauer! I hope you have a teacher too. When trying horns, do it with your eyes closed, and have someone hand you a trumpet with your mouthpiece in it. Find the ones you like to play, then look at them and their prices. The best trumpet is the one you play best on. Period.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That doesn't make sense.

8. Lost_In_Music13

Lost_In_Music13 New Friend

Mar 20, 2007
    Lost
    Exactly what I was thinking...

9. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i think hes counting all the G's and only 2 of the C's

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are so many horns available with which you can be happy!
    The most fun would be to go with your trumpet teacher to a music store and to try out everything around your price range. That way you KNOW that you got the best one AND learned something too. I did this in the 8th grade with my trumpet teacher - what an experience that was!
    IF you have to buy blind (by mail order), the Yamaha 6335 is a safe bet. I never recommend buying a Xeno blind as they have a non-standard sound that you need to hear before you buy. I know of many players that sound too bright with them.

p.s. your nominal range is not really "significant" here. We are primarily interested in what you can do with it. There is not much use for trumpet notes that sound like door hinges in need of oil. If you can PRODUCE in a musical situation, then you can call it range and we are interested!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007