Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by green_eagle18, Oct 4, 2007.

1. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    Hi. I'm thinking of playing Joseph Turrin's "Caprice" for my jury this fall. But I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to play it on a C trumpet or the B-flat. I hear it's easier to do it on C. But it was originally written for B-flat. What do you all think?

2. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    Work it up on both, and then choose the horn that gives you the performance you want. That way you will have practiced both horns equally, possibly even worked on your C-Bb transpositions (why not push yourself to do that!), and it will be completely your decision as to which horn does what you are looking for from the piece.

Now is as good a time as ever to take charge of your performances, and that means starting to make your own choices based on your efforts. If your teacher feels really strongly about one or the other, follow his/her lead - and get the reasons behind the decisions. Later on you can decide whether you agree or disagree.

3. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Why don't you borrow a phrase from your own profile:

"Whatever works for me."

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success requires preparation AND knowledge of what is expected. The more you know, the easier it is to make a decision. If you have a Bb or C trumpet hater on the jury, you will not do yourself any favors by feeding that hate.
    When I studied in the 70's, the only input necessary was that from my trumpet teacher. They were plugged in to what was good for me. Other opinions probably would not have been helpful! Most of my studies were on the C trumpet!