HELP!!! Please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by polkadottrumpet, May 8, 2009.

1. polkadottrumpet

polkadottrumpet New Friend

May 8, 2009
    California
    So I've been playing for about 4 years and I'm currently a junior and 1st chair at my schools symphonic band and top jazz. Anyway, I'm about to die because about 5 months ago I happened to switch mouthpicecs from a YAMAHA 11B4 to a E9.1 * shew 1.5 by J. marcinkiewicz.
    And stating from this morning jazz band I was unable to play anything above a medium E. and then I would be able to hit really high note like the E about that. But nothing inbetween. I 1st thought it was because I was tired but it would be the same after 5 hours. I'm really about to cry because I have to perform tomaro and I also have a concert coming up in a week. I would appriciate any help ASAP thanks!!!

should I switch back to my old one? do you think its just a stamina problem?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mouthpiece has NOTHING to do with what is going on. 5 months is adequate time to acclimate. If you haven't had any grief in 5 months, the brass did not change overnight.

Something else happened. This dramatic would make me go to a doctor UNLESS there is something that you are not telling us......................

The day after beating your face up, something like this can happen. A nervous disorder can cause this. Blood pressure can mess us up. Allergies (there is some NASTY pollen blowing around). Medication like antihistamines can give us grief. Emotional problems can reek havoc.

So, YOU have to be the super sleuth. If you beat yourself up, then a day or 2 of minimal playing at very soft volume can help. Blood pressure can be handles by pills. The rest is up to the doc.

Do NOT switch back. You will merely compound the problem!

I have to admit that posts like this make me VERY suspicious. In the past, we have had too many troublemakers start like this. Polkadot, I am sorry if that is not your case, but what you describe is VERY unusual, practically impossible without a very OBVIOUS psychological/physical trigger. I suggest you think about that and give us the rest of the story.

TMers:
    If you are thinking about answering please consider 2 things:
    If this is a tragedy, dumb advice will only compound the problem
    If this is bait to start a riot, dumb advice will cause great controversy.

Let's give Polkadot a chance to tell the rest of the story before piling on - unless you have personally REALLY solved a problem like this!

3. polkadottrumpet

May 8, 2009
    California
    Thats that story though... I've been stressed out with AP testing but nothing new... I'm not lying... I called my trumpet teachers as well but they said I should switch But I trually like my pitch on the new one... well, I will be very greatfull if I can play anything tomaro...

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Be aware of that spicy food like hot chili can also effect your lips.
    I don't eat anything spicy the day before a concert or contest.
    Makes my lips "lame"...

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Polkadot,
    if it is stress, then you need to get your blood pressure checked. In any case, take a long bath instead of a shower. If you have somebody close by that gives good massages, go for it. A long walk is good, candlelight dinner. No TV and minimal computer! Do something extraordinary - just for YOU. Unwinding is critical to your mental and physical well being, regardless of age! I set goals for my students with rewards like this. They need to learn to pamper themselves every once in a while. Parents seem mostly interested in keeping them occupied! We need to learn how to kick back!

If you have had NO problems with the mouthpiece for 5 months, then switching makes NO sense.

Like I said, dramatic changes like this are TRIGGERED by something. There are only a couple of things that could cause the embouchure to fall apart overnight. I listed them. Start digging.

6. polkadottrumpet

May 8, 2009
    California

Its not a relationship issue, I was challenged recently... thats about the only thing I can think of...I think I'll just go to bed for today and see how I sound in the morning. I'll get back to you then. thanks

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I will probably repeat what robin said...take care of yourself, UNWIND seem to me like a key word. If you have any lip or other facial muscles pain go visit a doctor, and then...if needed any lip recovery, balms like chopsaver may be helpful.

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I agree...stress is the worst! The past couple of weeks have
    been difficult for me between school and family stuff. And it
    has definitely effected my playing. Just have to relax, and I like
    the massage idea Rowuk! :D
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

9. polkadottrumpet

May 8, 2009
    California
    Thank you so much for ur advise! I tried to play this morning and it was the same... I'm calling my doctor, because I recently got my wisdom teeth pulled and maybe thats whats causing this...

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AHA!
    dental work can change the geometry of your face. How recent is recent, and how much have you played since? How does your daily practice routine work. Has your sound changed?