HELP!!! Please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by polkadottrumpet, May 8, 2009.

1. polkadottrumpet

polkadottrumpet New Friend

May 8, 2009
    California

Um... i dont think that it has... I've been playing for about a 2 weeks now.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My hypothesis. Tell me if I am wrong.
    You got your wisdom teeth out and had to stop playing for a while. You knew that this concert was coming up, so you jumped on the horn as soon as possible. You played everything that you did before the operation, noticed that it was somehow harder and kept going anyway. 4 or 5 days ago you noticed that things still weren't right, but you were able to squeeze everything out. Day before yesterday your world fell apart.

I read it like this: your face wasn't ready, and your old routine in principle "beat" your face up because it was weak from the operation.

Second possibility, you have an infection and your body is fighting back.

Wisdom teeth are a pretty traumatic experience for the face. It often takes 4-6 weeks to properly recover. Just because nothing is bleeding does not mean that the process is done. Because of the healing process, your body is pretty autonomous.

Your doc should check for an infection and you should play a lot of quiet long tones for a week or so.

This is not what you want to hear, but I am pretty sure you have just traumatized your face/embouchure. The best solution is to take it easy.

3. polkadottrumpet

polkadottrumpet New Friend

May 8, 2009
    California

Yeah thats pretty much how it has happened. I do remember having to play alot right after my mouth had healed because we had a compitition and a musical every night... I can't believe that something like this would happen to me I really don't have time to waste but I guess I have no choice.... My dirctors going to kill me...yah...

Thanks for your help.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Mystery solved!

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty
    good and you win, some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins.
    This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."
    Dizzy Gillespie

I guess that this time the horn won...and this is just because you did not know to do while recovering...Practice smart and don't forget to consult your doctors in such cases.

5. trumpeter45

trumpeter45 New Friend

May 5, 2009
    Hmm...not a doctor, but have you checked your water keys for broken or missing cork? do you have this problem with any other horn or just the one you are currently playing. I have experienced some similiar issues with students horns where the water key is not completely sealing.

T45

6. giordami

giordami New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rowuk,

Being fairly new to this forum -- and a comeback player after a 40-year lapse -- I have learned a great deal of information from you and many others on different issues and topics. Much of it I have incorporated into my daily growth with the instrument.

Going back to the "old days" of quality circles when I taught "Root Cause Analysis" to identify the true cause of a problem as opposed to treating the symptom(s), e.g., taking an aspirin to treat the fever but not knowing the real cause of the fever, your step-by-step approach to solving this player's problem was excellent. As the thread progressed, one could see everything getting whittled down to its most basic component.

My thanks to you -- and all the others who contribute their expertise on this forum -- for helping us strive to become better musicians on such a beautiful instrument.

P.S. I am joining my church choir in 2 weeks as the sole trumpet player and have joined the local college community concert band starting in August. I never realized how much I missed playing the trumpet. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to find that out. Oh, well, live and learn.

7. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    HERE HERE!!
    Good words giordami!

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Polkadot,
    Play third. That way you can positively influence the kids that normally don't get so much attention, you will get the break that you need AND the band director has a win-win situation. That will strengthen your position in the section even more - as a player that gives EVERYTHING. Still don't forget to treat yourself to nice things. No reason to be miserable until your chops come back!

Good luck!

You actually made the sacrifice by jumping in a bit too early. I don't think the band director has ANY reason to get mad

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mike,
    root cause analysis is efficient. I wish more teachers would use it. Then a lot of the myths would disappear. Bandaids are cheap and quick. That is why they are popular. They also require less intellect. Copy and Paste means that even the uninformed always have SOMETHING to say.

In Polkadots case, I wasn't sure if it wasn't some troll troublemaker. Boy am I happy that it turned out to be the real thing. After I was convinced that she was legit, I kept digging because I like to help but also had a crush on a girl in junior high with a polkadot skirt. Funny how memories can get triggered. That situation didn't ever get cleared up. Here I have high hopes!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Trumpetnick,

IMHO no-one has lost here, we have all been privelaged to witness a Master at work.

We have seen the AHA moment for Polkadottrumpet, and we have learnt how problems have a real cause and most likely probably a real solution.

However, we have been shown that the analysis has to be thorough, and focussed. (I'm not sure how the 'lost lust' with the polka dot dress fits in to the solution though).

Congratulations Polkadot,

As a 3rd chair player - welcome to my world (if you can swing it) you will find that what you will see is slightly simpler scores that emphasise the 'baseline' of your section, a most important part - and a little easier on the mouth. Of course your Band Director needs to agree with this (you might show him this discussion with ROWUK, BTW) be aware that the music is NOT just a lower version of the 1st part - it too will need your mental effort and some practice and awareness of the place it holds in the whole ensemble - looks easy, not necessarilly so, though.

Well done Robin - impressively intelligent - as always.